Chapter 8

-Stormhill-

Rennala walked down the streets, eyeing soldiers as she passed; they were none the wiser that the guard she piloted was no longer in control. As she walked through Mystwood, then Stormhill, she watched as villagers huddled in after dark, how barren the streets were save for soldiers. The citizens must abide to a strict curfew, then. Even more dreadful, the closer she got to the castle, the more she spotted the warhawks prowling about. They circled overhead, their massive wings casting shadows in the moonlight and when they landed on rooftops, their bladed feet scraped against the stone. She did her best not to shudder. Approaching the gates to Stormveil Castle, an officer extended a spear.

"Halt. Where are you going?"

Rennala stopped at the sight of the spear and looked up at the soldier. He and the guard beside him were more decorated, their armor golden and adorned with markings indicating their rank. High officers.

"There was a disturbance with a villager." She lied. "They ask for you by name, captain."

The soldier tilted his head slightly, his voice gruff. "They asked for me? Specifically?"

Rennala felt a bead of sweat roll down the back of her neck. "Aye, sir."

The officer scoffed and walked forward. "That doesn't sound like my problem. Can you not handle it yourself?"

Rennala swallowed a bit. "We can't reason with them. It would be best if you went to-"

"Oh, would it?" The officer interrupted, stepping forward. He towered over her. "You giving me orders now?"

Rennala looked up at him, backing away slightly. She sighed a bit and muttered under her breath. "You're all so intimidating, aren't you?"

"What was that?" He snarled.

She quickly held a hand up to his forehead. Her palm glowed briefly enough for the other officer not to notice, and they both stumbled away from each other. The soldier she used to control blinked, bleary eyed, and looked around at his surroundings. Without missing a beat, Rennala pushed him back.

"The hell is wrong with you? Get back to your post!"

The soldier looked up at her in shock and confusion. "Captain? I don't-"

"Move!"

He flinched and turned as quickly as he could, hightailing it back down the street.

The other officer watched in distaste as he left. "What was he on about?"

Rennala looked back at him. "Who knows? Boy must have too many blows to the head." She turned to the castle entrance. "Hold your position, I'm going to schedule him for punishment."

The officer nodded, bored. "Aye."

Rennala entered the castle and closed the door behind her. The inside was spacious, cold, but extravagantly decorated. Each wall hung masterworks and the floor was a dark stone mosaic that stretched out down each corridor. No servants were bustling about at this time, so it felt as if each step and clatter of the armor she wore echoed throughout the quiet halls. She just needed to figure out where Radagon was, but she would need an excuse to be there, and her armor was far too loud to stalk the shadows.