chapter 24

year 2

me and Robert barely spoke after that dinner, and an unbearable tension had formed between us. so much so i knew i wanted to go back to the states for college. and as soon as possible.

i spent my summer break working through 11th grade, and since i was a year ahead, i would be able to graduate that following year. i'm not sure how my parents felt about it. i was their only child, they always spoke of how they dreaded when i left for college, now i was leaving a year sooner.

it was hard to believe i'd actually be going back to the states once i got accepted into my top three collages: NYU, Organ State, and Colorado State. i was completely torn between the three. NYU was NYU, i mean i'd get to live in New York again, major in business, and be able to get a job in the studio i danced at.

but i'd already lived there, and i wanted to go somewhere new. i absolutely loved Colorado and Organ, and obviously Terri wanted me to go to Organ because that was where she was from.

so i was left undecided for a while. Robert still didn't know i was leaving a year early, and i supposed he would be glad. he and Emma were still going steady as far as i knew. she had moved onto campus at the University of Queensland, but they still saw each other plenty. it kept Robert away most weekends and kept her away most week days.

——

little Grace was turning 3 that year and all hands were on deck to get the celebration ready. even though i was crazy busy preparing for the finals of my last year of high school, i tried my best to help. birthdays were a big deal at Australia Zoo and preparations started months before the actual day. but it was only days away at that point, and excitement buzzed through the air.

"so uh, Roberts gonna be there, obviously." Bindi sat on the couch next to me, Grace sleeping in her room.

i was busy making a study guide, "i know."

"whatever did happen between you? you were so, so close, then just nothing." she fully turned to me.

i had told no one about that night, i suspected either did Robert. i doubted Emma knew, even though she probably suspected.

"it's uh-" i actually debated telling her, "it's a long story." probably not the best idea.

"Grace is down for another hour."

i smiled, "not that easily, Bindi."

"ugh, fine. be boring." she sat back on the couch eating her chips, "i have no excitement anymore. Grace obviously isn't old enough for any love interests, Robert is settled down,"

settled down.

i hated that.

"and you're all studious." she sighed.

"sorry i'm participating in my high school career." i snorted.

"no, no, i know. i'm just joking. we're very proud of you, Florence. but i'm going to miss you like crazy." Bindi rested her head on my shoulder.

"i'll visit, don't worry. and you can come and visit me! just you and we can have a girls week or something."

she laughed, "yes please."

——

"happy birthday to you!" Grace giggled as we all finished singing.

we sat in the Irwin's backyard, decor covering the porch where her cake sat. Grace smeared the chocolate cake across her face, to which everyone laughed. i didn't even realize i was standing next to Robert.