|06| The Eyes Are Useless When The Mind Is Blind

Chapter 6 x

~~~~~~~~~~

Gloss's POV

I scowl at my reflection in the mirror. I have never liked suits, or bow ties, or fundraiser balls for that matter. But the Games are expensive and the Capitol has to pay somehow. Most years I shut myself away and leave the socialising to Cashmere. I'll come to some events, but the fundraiser ball is one I always miss, partly because I don't like balls of any description, and partly because I want to spite the Capitolians. This year though, Cashmere has practically bullied me into attending. She is also determined to find sponsors for Marvel, sponsors who don't want her body in return.

"You look fabulous," Cashmere tells me as she brushes the dust off the sleeves of my suit jacket. She probably had to shake some spiders from it it's been in the closet that long. I frown and Cashmere makes to ruffle my carefully gelled hair, but then thinks the better of it. I let her dress me up like some kind of model because I know it makes her happy. But I figure that I'm allowed to scowl now to compensate for all the fake smiling I'm going to be doing very soon.

"You too," I reply. She's wearing a bright blue dress that matches her eyes. I think it's made of satin, but I'm not too sure. It has a one-shoulder strap and pools down to her ankles, nearly concealing the silver stiletto heels she's wearing. Although she's naturally tall at around five foot nine, those heels make Cashmere nearly my height, which says something in itself. Her eyes are rimmed by dark eyeliner and her lips are painted a soft pastel pink.

Unfortunately, it's not only us Victors going, but Storm as well. It's going to be really interesting to see what she's like around her own people. She acts softly-spoken and mild with Cashmere and I, but I'm betting she's different when she starts rubbing shoulders with the wealthy Capitolians. Storm enters the corridor nervously in a purple strapless sequin dress. It actually doesn't look too bad on her, complementing her curvy figure...but she still looks too small, even with heels on.

"Don't take all night," I say sarcastically, rolling my eyes as I brush past her and exit the Training Centre, climbing into the back of a sleek limousine that pulls up moments after we walk outside. Storm and Cashmere click across and climb in, sliding across the leather seats. I just lean back and boredly drum my fingers against my armrest. The sooner we get to the President's manor the happier I will be. I just want tonight to be over and done with already.

The manor is as disgustingly resplendent as always. It's a cream building with a black roof, and as we enter the ballroom, I see several chandeliers that look like they may be made of real diamond. Provided, no doubt, by my own district. Disgusting. Even the staircases winding up the sides of the room and the tiling appears to be marble. How can President Snow afford all of this when the districts are starving?

The moment we enter the ballroom, it's like we're a beacon drawing all of the other Victors in. Brutus from District 2 shoulders his way through the crowd towards us, not that it's hard considering his impressive height of six foot six. At least the man has some manners, shaking my hand – I force myself not to wince as he tries to break my fingers – and kissing Cashmere's hand. True to his nature, he completely ignores Storm, who seems annoyingly content to stand there and pretend she's invisible.

Finnick Odair is a different matter completely. We've never really been on the same page, Finnick and I. We just...don't get along. Cashmere is civil towards him, but even she can't stand the charming smile plastered across his face. He shakes my hand briefly, inclines his head to Cashmere, but it's Storm he turns his attention on. My lip curls contemptuously. He's known for his Capitolian flings.