|20| Tis Better To Have Loved And Lost Than To Have Never Loved At All

Final Chapter !

~~~~~~~~~~

Storm's POV

The reports that President Snow has been arrested come flooding in. Immediately, I want to return to the Capitol. This is something I want to see for myself. The man who has been behind the Games for so long, who was responsible for ensuring I was betrothed to Hyperion, for the loss of my child. I've been uncomfortable with physical contact with Gloss, but I'm opening up to him more and more. My face reddens at the prospect of asking him whether he wants to conceive a child.

"Do you think they'll kill him?" I ask Gloss. We're taking a hovercraft to the Capitol, after he surrendered to my insistence and sought permission from Paylor. She shook her head, but she was smiling when she said yes. When the bombs went off and killed all of those children, and the medics – including Katniss Everdeen's sister Primrose – I knew that there was no way Snow could get away with his crimes. Such a blatant display of his callousness would never be forgiven.

"I hope so." Gloss has been quiet for most of the journey and I know that this huge event has caused him to look back on his life, look back at the 68th Hunger Games and his life with Cashmere. Her death caused a hole to be burned in his heart, but I like to think that hole is beginning to heal.

He is one of the few Victors that hasn't been murdered – and I wonder why. He was completely at Hyperion's mercy, and yet Hyperion didn't have him killed. Did he think it was crueller to keep him alive, torturing him with the knowledge that he would never have me, that he was responsible for the loss of our child? I clutch at his hand tighter and he glances at me quizzically. We both have our scars now – and I realise that I'm closer to being a Victor than most people in District 1. I understand.

"We'll be touching down in a few minutes," the pilot calls over the intercom. I'm slightly nervous, because I am here to see one of the most monumental changes in Panem's history. Even if Snow is not found guilty, he will never again be able to exert his tyrannical hold over Panem. This makes me more relieved than I can say. It's strange to think that, two years ago, I was in complete blissful ignorance to the pain people like Gloss endured, even years after their Games had concluded.

"I wish I could've been the one to kill him," Gloss mutters, and I'm not sure whether he's talking about Snow, or Hyperion. My fingers absently trace the silver, shimmery scar left behind from my attempt to take my own life. It seems so frightening at the time, but at the time it was like it was the only logical choice I had left. I wonder if they know the truth now, that I was the one to kill Hyperion.

It will all be over soon. It's so relieving to know that. After years of having children killing children, the horrors have finally ceased and we have the person responsible for allow them to continue. I squeeze Gloss's hand reassuringly, watching as a slight smile crosses his lips. Words aren't needed. All I need is contact, some gentle way to assure Gloss that everything's alright, that I'm here for him.

Gloss's POV

I'm still reeling from the day's events, and I get the feeling that it's going to take me some time to process what happened. I sit with my head in my hands and try and deliberate it all. Storm has gone to some kind of conference, but I had no wish to join her. I've always been the solitary type, known to sit and brood – and this day merits much thought. My head is still spinning like I'm on a constant merry-go-round. I fist my hands in my hair and wonder what it means now that so much has changed.

I close my eyes and the entire day flashes through behind my eyelids. Elethea sitting by Finnick's bedside and watching his heart monitor intently, never once letting go of his hand. Katniss turning on President Coin and shooting her. Snow, finally meeting his demise, coughing up his own blood. Paylor being voted in as President. I wanted Storm to apply for the position, but she flatly refused. She says Panem would never want a Capitolian at their head, broken or not.