|15| The Descent To Hell Is Easy

~~~~~~~~~~

Ohhhh! A double update 😉😂✍️

~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 15 x

~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry in advance 🫣
~~~~~~~~~~

Storm's POV

They took me down into the darkness, into the dank pits of the Capitol that are reserved for rebels and traitors. I suppose that's what they see me as now. They took me down and locked me in a cell where I can't ever see the sun. The only things I have to indicate time of day or night are my sleep pattern and the food I am brought at fairly regular intervals. Not that I can sleep or eat much in any case. I only really do for the safety of the baby. I can barely stand though, because my knees shake whenever I do.

Cashmere is dead. She's dead. That rings through my head, like something tearing inside me and ripping my heart apart. I don't know where they are keeping Gloss, or if he is even alive. In some ways, it's probably better that he's dead. I've heard rumours of what goes on in this prison. I hear them screaming now sometimes, screaming and begging. All I can do is plug my fingers in my ears for what seems like hours before it ends. Yet they haven't come to torture me. I start to wonder about that.

Are they going to kill me? I find that I'm not concerned about my own safety anymore. Everything I do seems to be in order to keep my child alive. In my mind, my own fierce beliefs, it's a girl and her name is Cashmere. Like the woman who I condemned to death. I can't help but feel guilt, because maybe it was my stance against Hyperion that caused all of this. I have a bit of a cry then, quiet so that no one can hear.

More time passes.

The door to my cell creaks open and I shrink back on my bed. I go to instinctively curl my knees to my chest, but the bump gets in the way. So I just fist my hands in the crisp sheets and watch...and Gloss walks into the light. I'm on my feet in moments as the door slams shut behind us. I don't how long we have together before they take him away from me again. Is this my punishment? Seeing him alive, knowing that they are going to keep us apart? I rush to him and fling my arms around his neck.

"I...I saw what happened to Cashmere. I'm so sorry...I just...I wish things could be different...I wish..."

Gloss remains still in my arms, unmoving, unfeeling. I draw back and take him in, but there's an emptiness about him. It's like he doesn't feel a thing anymore. I've no doubt that this is what Cashmere's death has done to him. I reach out to touch his cheek, but he's faster, grabbing my wrist in a grip that bruises.

"Gloss?" I'm uncertain now. Maybe it was too fast, maybe I'm smothering him with all of my emotions when he can't feel a thing. It used to be the opposite. He used to be so angry so often, and there wasn't something I could do to calm him down. I almost want that rage now. I want him to feel something.

"Capitolian," he snarls. I see the emotion then, the burning hatred in his blue eyes – and I can't understand it. How can he have fallen so far? How can we be back to this, after everything that's happened? Something's wrong, but I just can't pick up on what it is. His grip around my wrist tightens and I cry out, feeling the small bones cracking beneath his fingers.

"Gloss, what are you doing?!"

He spins me around, something feral twisting his face as he slams me hard into the wall. I choke as his hands tighten around my throat, and panic overwhelms me. This must be it. He must want to kill me. Cashmere's death has likely driven him insane. My vision becomes blurry and I realise there are tears in my eyes. Not of anger, or fear. Of pity. I always wanted to save Gloss, and now, after Cashmere's death, I realise he's too far gone.