𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟒: 𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐡𝐲

Hotch's POV

Hotch's POV

I sit in the foyer of the hospital, my eyes struggling to stay open as I watch the swarms of people passing me, sometimes I entertain myself by profiling the strangers I see. The woman on the gurney who just passed me is likely the oldest daughter, she was arguing with the Doctor, trying to take leadership even though there was no way she knew what she was talking about. Her dress sense shows perfectionism- a common oldest daughter trait- and she was asking the nurse to call her assistant to reschedule her meetings for the day: overachiever and organised.

The Doctor treating her listened carefully- just nodding calmly as she wheeled the gurney of the patient through the emergency room. Maybe the oldest daughter as well? But one who grew up taking the role of parent to her siblings so had to grow up fast and learn to be composed in light of stressful situations.

She makes me think of Ada, and that kiss. That life-altering kiss which I can't help but replay over and over in my head.

"Aaron." Her voice melodises as I look up to see her walking toward me.

I stand up, "How is he?"

She lets out a sigh, "He's going to be fine, the Doctor says it looks worse than it is, the wound is mostly superficial, so he's resting now. Apparently, I could go into medicine with how well I managed the original injury."

"That sounds about right, you never cease to amaze me," I speak sincerely.

She laughs, "I just tied a bandage around his leg and hoped for some kind of miracle."

I shook my head, "Miracles aren't real, but beautiful women with full hearts are."

She scoffed, "You're so mushy."

I shrugged, watching as she tried to conceal a yawn. In the daze of events over the last few hours, I had almost forgotten that we hadn't slept in 24 hours. The undercover case was tiring in itself, I think Ada only managed an hour of sleep before I got into bed and the UNSUB showed up, and then we were out looking for Elijah. It must be pushing on 4 am now- I know I had been sitting in this waiting room for at least an hour waiting for news.

"Why don't you get some sleep?" I ask, but there was no way I would take no as an answer.

Ada turned to look at a clock on the wall, her eyes widening slightly, "I might yeah. There is a sofa in Elijah's room, even if it's just for a bit until he wakes up."

I nodded, "That's a good idea, I'm going to get a coffee."

"You're not going to join me?" She asked with a tilt of her head, "I'm sure I can scooch up and make some room."

However much I want to, there is so much red tape we need to deal with before we become so flippant with public affection. I'm her boss, she's a member of my team- as Rossi says, there are rules and paperwork we need to sort out, "No, I'm going to try and stay up, I've got to pick up Jack in a few hours, if I go to sleep now, I'll make myself even more tired."