CHAPTER 2 - the bird of fire

I had science class. We did a worksheet about class safety before anything. I wasn't surprised really, there's always a class safety thing for science at the beginning of every year. After I finished the sheet, it was everything I already knew about, I took out my encyclopedia of fiction. I flipped through the book to find different creatures, magic, and other things like that. After stopping at a random page, I found that the page was devoted to the most fascinating creature.

A phoenix

I loved these things. They looked so majestic. All with their fire wings and stuff. I suddenly see someone looking over my shoulder. Before I could see who it was, fear struck through me "I'm going to be laughed at..." I think to myself "rumors are going to spread. They're going to call me a daydreamer...a nerd...idiotic...a..." "It's ok" I hear "I like things like this to"

It was grace

"You look really frightened. Sorry I ran away from you...I guess I'm a bit shy..." she says "I'm...I just moved here" "oh really?" I say "from where?"

"Uh...Philadelphia" she says. I raise an eyebrow "all the way from down there? Wow" I say. She shrugs "well...I didn't really like the place. I kind of like Vancouver a bit more. People really think that you say eh here in Canada a lot back in the US. Is that true or is that a lie?" I chuckle "well a few people say eh sure, but most people don't" grace nods "well...ok then"

A sudden crash wakes everyone up. Grace suddenly looks to the window and so do I

It was a thunder storm

Black clouds circled the sky and lightning flashed but no rain came. I could see grace mouth oh no...then ran out of the classroom

God dam this is the second time. I think to myself as I run after her

She's bolting down the hallway now. Since I have no coat or bag to weigh me down, I can go at top speed

I follow her down the stairs and she runs outside. I run in place at the door contemplating if I should run after her.

I could see her slowing down now, her whitish-silver hair blew in the wind.

Screw it

I open the door to a rush of wind. I had to put my hand out in front of my face to cover the wind from blowing into my face. She suddenly turns around to see me "GRACE!" I shout "WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING!" "GO BACK INSIDE!" she shouts "I DON'T WANT YOU TO GET HURT!"

"IM NOT GOING ANYWHERE WITHOUT YOU! YOU MIGHT..." lightning flashes in the parking lot "AUG! YOU MIGHT GET HURT BY THE LIGHTNING! COME ON!"

"No Alex"

The words left her mouth. She wasn't shouting, but she was loud "I will not let you get hurt. I will not let myself hurt you. Now go inside. NOW"

The words struck my chest like a hammer. It took a lot to go against her but I prevailed

"...n...no grace..." I sputter "...no...I...no!..."

She closes her eyes "...ok Alex. You've proven yourself" the wind is still blowing in my face but I didn't care anymore. Something was up "I haven't been at this school for more than a single day. My father wants me home. You know what I'm going to say to him?" she says smiling "I don't want to go back. I like this school. It has good curriculum in its roots. And it has..." she stops "it has good people like you. People who can stand up to things. People who can go against the power of the earth" I'm confused. I don't know what she's talking about "I like you Alex"

I never told her my name...

A huge light shone. I cover my eyes. After opening them I see something that is still burned into my mind

A bird, as big as a building, of fire and different colors. Was slowly flying in front of me my eyes are trying to take it all in at once, which didn't work.

The bird suddenly swooped above me. I staggered back as my head hit the pavement hard. I blacked out