Chapter 37: Powerless

...And through blurred, water-drenched eyes, she saw Corey looking at her, brushing her hair and water from her face as she coughed. They were still in the water, with Corey holding her firmly against his chest, and the world around them continued without any regard to Sallie.

"Babe! Babe, you okay? You spaced out or something!"

Sallie had to take a few more moments to clear the water from her lungs before she could reply, her throat instinctively clenching.

"I-I don't..." Another cough, and Corey began to tenderly pat her back, helping her spew up the last of the water. And the moment she finally caught her breath, she clutched onto Corey's shoulders, pulling him tight to her. "Sam's here..." She whispered; her throat squeezed with terror.

Corey had to take a moment to register what she just said.

"Where?" Then he promptly looked around, his eyes scanning for that wicked witch of the west. But- "Babe, I don't see her..."

Sallie ran a hand over her face, wiping the water away.

"But...I saw her just..." Her head flicked left and right, seeing no one else but the old couple and young family. "I'm not going mad,"

Corey gave her a cheeky smirk.

"You've already gone fucking mad. You're with me."

But even the comical comment didn't brighten her, and Corey frowned, running a hand over her face. "Aww, babe. It's okay, I'm here." His intention to give his girlfriend a little kiss on the forehead was interrupted by a voice, an irritating, abrasive voice that made the average person cringe.

"Fancy seeing you here, Sallie."

Sallie's entire body clenched in recanted fear at the voice, and Corey looked over his shoulder to see Sam. Thankfully, Sallie wasn't hallucinating bad times. But the fact that Sam's presence was true seemed a lot worse than any false call.

Corey gave Sam a stiff smile.

"Hello, Sam." A year or so ago, the younger Corey would have attacked and drowned Sam in an instant. But right now, his matured mind seemed to have control of his vile temper and could only try to be polite to her.

Sam looked at Corey with narrow, disapproving eyes, her gaze moving up and down at his body, spotting at the tattoos that marked his body and seemed offended by the state of his artistic markings.

"Hello, Craig. You've changed your hair. Not wearing those dirty dreadlocks!"

"Um...it's Corey-"

But Sam shifted her attention to Sallie, noticing the woman subtly cowering behind Corey, his body the only barrier protecting her. From what Sam could see, Sallie was avoiding eye-contact, and she smiled cruelly to see how pathetic her husband's daughter reacted around her. Like a coward.

However...

I'm gonna hurt her. I'm gonna hurt her. I'm gonna hurt her.

FUCKING KILL HER

DROWN HER

IT'S EASY. PUSH HER HEAD UNDER THE WATER AND WATCH HER DIE

DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

The voice...

The unprecedented desire to break Sam's skin and watch her bleed returned to Sallie so violently, it terrified her. The urges to harm another being...she hadn't felt like this since the last time she saw Sam. Deep down, she knew it would be wrong to attack. She was brought up to never harm another person, but Sam unleashed this vile animalistic urge to just attack, to just cause pain to the woman who crushed her dreams and crumbled her soul, the woman that made her sit on the brink of suicide, looking down at the endless void of death, genuinely contemplating in jumping off.