Chapter 39: Dead Memories

It took Corey a long while to convince Sallie to say Yes to the invitation. As reluctant and as angry as she was, Corey was just grateful she was willing to take this chance. Despite knowing how hard it will be for her.

So long she kept herself cool, she remained as the bigger person and painfully resist touching Corey so much, she'll be fine-!

"I'm not fine with this."

Corey glanced away from the road to look back at Sallie, who was slouching in her seat. Her arms folded in an unforgiving manner, looking away from him.

"Babe, I know you're not. But if we get through this little weekend away, you prove to Sam that you're a much better person, that she has no control over your life, I believe we can live on happier."

Almost disgusted with his new outlook on this situation, Sallie glared back at Corey, trying to tame the temper in her eyes.

"Y'know, the Corey I first met wouldn't have even entertained the idea of it..."

That struck him. Trying to surpass the disappointment in his voice, Corey replied, calm.

"That Corey doesn't exist anymore. I've become a better person. I'm not so bad-shit crazy..." He looked at Sallie for a moment before looking back at the road. "Babe...Sallie," His fingers drummed on the steering wheel. "If I turned this car around, Sam will hold onto this forever, and will use it as a weapon on you. She'll call you a coward and will mock you for the rest of your days. I know she will. But if we go there now, head high, we'll defeat her."

"I'm only going on this fucking stupid weekend away because my secret boyfriend forced me to,"

Corey opened his mouth with a comeback that didn't exist, and stalling, he decided against even speaking. Bowing his head down slightly, he remained silent for the rest of the journey, trying to not let this awkward tension get the best of him.

Is this a stupid idea? Have I made a mistake?

Corey glanced at Sallie from the corner of his eye, seeing her looking away and staring at the window, watching the road go by, other vehicles driving beside them. With agreement with Mr. Knight, Corey drove back to Sallie's old home, so that they would use one vehicle to get to the campsite, Sandy Beach Campground. Somewhere closer to Iowa city, a hearty two hour drive from Sherman Hill.

Once they got there, Sallie felt her Nokia buzzing in her pocket. She pulled the phone out and glared at the screen, seeing that she retrieved a text from Joey.

Hey Sal, good luck this weekend. The cavalry is here if you need a ride home.

"I'm gonna need more than that..." Sallie grumbled furiously as she got out of the car, slamming the door shut behind her and marched to the trunk of Corey's Probe. Corey remained seated for a moment, now knowing that this was going to be a terrible mistake. He was so certain Sallie could defeat this woman, and he prayed that she will be able to prove Sam wrong that she is a much better person.

Though now he found himself in a tight situation. It was Sallie's decision to hide their relationship from her Father, and with that in mind, Corey found it incredibly hard to not kiss her. She wasn't in a talking mood with him.

I've fucked up. FUCK!

He got out of the car, approaching the trunk himself to see Sallie standing there, her hands resting on the handle of her suitcase as she stared up at her old home. The front door had changed into a lovely white wooden pane, no window this time. The sight of it bitterly reminded Sallie that when she last set foot to this property, she was exiled from her own home, and she had shattered the window of the door from slamming it closed too harshly. That terrible Christmas...