Prologue

I could see the terror in her eyes, as she gazed pleadingly at me. Tears welled, running down her dirt stained cheek. At a glance she would be no more than six years. Still. That was not old enough.

I turned to Y 8724, "Scout the area. I wanna know if there are more of them."

He replied affirmatively before leaving the group.

"Please. Please let me go," the small girl cried between sobs, "I want to go home."

She was bigger than I anticipated one would be. Her hair was silver and bronze, flowing and falling in tight rings that framed her face. She wore clothes ripped at the knee and stained from... whatever they do.

Y8724 returned panting, "We have searched the immediate area. Apart from the settlement further north, she is alone. I would appear that she has merely strayed from her home. Shall we return her?"

I paused for a moment, considering the girls pleading eyes. I nodded approval. Taking hold of her small hand, Y8724 began north. I turned to watch them, "Wait. Wait just a minute. There is something I forgot."

I stepped closer to the girl, who began to sob uncontrollably again.

"There is no need to cry little one," I cooed, wiping the tears from her cheek. I held her small, delicate face in my hands... like porcelain cracking, her lifeless body fell to the ground, her head tilted unnaturally towards the sky.

"Now Y8724, you can return her."