XVIII. Tunnels, The Settlement

The rain sent shivers down to my legs, with each ice cold drop that penetrated my shirt. The day had been long and I welcomed what cascaded through cracks in the cavern. Feeding the many mountain goats had its perks. They knew more about the hidden paths riddled through the caverns that led further into the mountains. They also didn't care who I was or what my motivations were. They trusted me and I trusted them. I was able to map the mountains. There were so many ways in and out that no person would even notice unless they fell into it or got lost. The goats were my allies. And if I could get my maps to the Facility, the Minister would have all he needed to destroy the resistance and their settlement.

There were only four assigned to care for the goats all year round. The rest worked on rotation. Some spent time feeding, morning and evening and the others milked the does in the late afternoon. I always volunteered to feed and go after those who strayed from the flock, mostly kids who had been separated from their mother and gotten lost in the tunnels.

The animals had already shown me so many beautiful caverns that were unused by the resistance One mimicked the main cavern, with its many glass-clear pools, only on a smaller scale. The biggest difference was that the water shimmered with ever drop that fell from the ceiling and as the largest of the pools filled, it overflowed in all directions into small ones. Where the water ran out after that, I had no idea. It was as if the bottom of each of the smaller oils was a sponge, only holding so much before seeping further into the mountain. All I could hear was the rush of a waterfall. Once everyone retreated to their quarters, I occasionally stayed behind to visit the smaller cavern of pools. Even at night, the settlement buzzed with life. The streets still brimmed with people and those who did not retreat inside, illuminated the square like beams of light. For this reason, I preferred to stay with the goats.

I dipped my finger into one of the clear pools, enjoying the mesmerising ripples that sent shock waves through the calm waters.

"I like to come here too."

My heart leapt, as I jumped to see Owen emerge from the darkness. I didn't even hear him.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I can leave you to it?" He started to shuffle away.

I turned, "No. Owen it's fine. Stay."

He smiled and sat next to me, "So how are your finding things now that you seem to have settled in?"

I had no idea how to reply. I had spent so much time trying to focus on providing the Minister the opportunity to get rid of them, I hadn't actually thought about how much I felt at home here. There were so many people who had gone out of their way to make me feel welcome. Clarence, Art. Even the old man at the lodge had started to soften towards me.

"I have found a place here, I think," I felt so sick to say it. The internal conflict rising up in the pit of my stomach, threw waves of nausea against my sides. This intensified when Owen nudged my shoulder in a banter-like fashion.

"I think so too."

We sat in silence for a time, listening to the water overflow.

"How do you like Ada?"

"She doesn't like me Owen. You know that."

"Hmm, she is resistant to you, isn't she?"

I started down into my lap, studying the scratches on my hands.

"Has she told you why?" I looked sideways at Owen, bracing for the possibility that she had shared her suspicions about me.

Owen grunted uncomfortably, "No. She just keeps telling me that she has a hunch that you are not all you seem to be," he paused for a moment, "Why don't you tell me about your facility?"

"Like I said before, I didn't really know anyone. I grew up in isolation and was cared for by a woman called Enna, who told me that my parents had been burned as heretics in the name of The One and she had been entrusted with my care." It was partly true.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. You can't be changed by someone you never knew. What about your family?"

Owen shifted where he was sitting, "Well, the elder woman on the council? She is my grandmother."

"Really?" I was surprised. Although, it made sense that Owen had grown traditionally.

"Yes. My parents were also burnt as heretics in Langulum. Back then, we only had a stronghold in the city of Pauperum. I was only five years old. They also burnt my sister. She was eight months old.

I turned to Owen in shock, "I'm sorry. That is horrible. This must have been before they brought in the age restriction burnings."

"No Etta. This restrictions were made common law when I was two years old. They killed my sister despite this. They murdered her as a warning to all those in the resistance. And they have done it countless times since."

"Surely, there must be some mistake Owen. No one under the age of twelve can be burnt as a heretic by The One's grace." I was desperate for Owen to be wrong. For it to all be just a mistake.

Owen turned and placed his hands firmly on my shoulders, "No Etta. The Facility ordered it. Right before my parent's eyes, before their pyre was lit. My grandfather was leading a rescue and witnessed it also."

Owen's grasp made me suddenly aware that I was shaking. I had to go. I needed to think.

"I'm sorry about what they did to your family, but I have to go. Early start tomorrow," rising quickly, I brushed off his hands and ran to exit the cavern., giving him no chance of reply.

When I reached a fork in the tunnel, I took the one that I knew would lead me away from the main settlement. I wanted to go outside and see the sky. As I scrambled up into the night, I inhaled the cold air deeply. I was up high. If it wasn't so late, I would have been able to glimpse the lake through the high peaks.