VII. Agora, Langulum

The rain bombarded me. It had been days since I had first left the Facility and although I kept close to the marketplace, I had no success in finding someone linked to the free settlement. I made a place for myself amongst the debris that lay at the back of a busy inn. As disgusting as it was, I could scrounge for food when it was disposed of. I was chilled to the core, and I had long forgotten the feeling of the rain falling on my head. My hands and feet had gone numb from cold, and I could feel layers of my wet skin peeling from the soles of my feet inside my soaked boots. Experiencing the city from this perspective brought into question whether the same glorious city I had glanced upon from the Facility were in fact one in the same.

Movement in my peripheral vision interrupted my thoughts. At first, I thought it to be a stray dog or one of the many over-sized rats I had already encountered. There were plenty of both in the city and I had competed with many for scraps. Straining through the haze, I realised the form was much larger and upright. It moved toward me. I rose slowly, getting ready to run. The figure suddenly came to a halt, until finally, the shadow stalked away down an adjacent alleyway. I resumed my place and continued to wait.

Once the rain ceased, the cold air made my joints ache. Every movement removed the warmth I had made inside my wet clothes. Before long, my shivering had exhausted me to the point that I had to fight to keep my eyes open.