XXIII. Langulum

I kept reminding myself that the opportunity to return to the Facility was exactly what I needed. I departed the settlement within the seven-day as requested by the Elder. Art, Clarence and Owen were the only ones who volunteered to accompany me. I was thankful. I did worry that Ada may deliberately volunteer so that she may continue to watch me.

We travelled to Langulum on foot and stayed between the the City Minus and City Medium Merchant. Art and Clarence had contacts who could get us all into the Facility, unnoticed. I was the unlucky one who accompanied Art to a pleasure house, where we were meeting someone who could provide us with key passes to enter through the cleaning stations.

The men and women inside were barely dressed. The air was thick with the heavy scent of smoke, sweat and ale. Their flesh was bare and not one of them shied away. Pushing past them only provoked glances, nothing more. They were so loud and the sound of their intertwined flesh slapping together made me feel uncomfortable. This was nothing like what it was like with Owen. He was strong, but gentle and never animalistic like these people. This was what it must be like, really like. So many crammed together, against the will of The One, satisfying their base instincts. Did the Facility know about places like these, or did they turn a blind eye?

Art touched my elbow and flicked his head toward a door at the rear of the establishment. I pushed further through the crowd, trying to keep up with him. I could see him ahead of me, already interacting with slim man, completely naked, with sunken eyes and a woman passed out over his lap. Some of those closest to me smoked and the scent mixed through the already foul air. I felt light-headed, but strangely, somehow, more relaxed. I knew where I was and why, but for some reason, it didn't seem to matter that much.

One man sat in the corner, surrounded by half-naked women lounging on the ground, as he spat smoke shapes into the air. It was... fascinating? I continued to watch and walk through the crowd, only to run right into the back of Art. He spun quickly, grabbing both my arms, so I did not fall. Startled, I stared up at him.

He chuckled through a large grin, "Once we are outside, you wont even remember you did that." He lead me through the back door, and as I inhaled the fresher air outside, my head instantly cleared.

"What just happened?"

"What just happened is we got ourselves a ticket inside. I guess tonight will be the night," Art grinned.