04.

"Aubrey, please return home

"Aubrey, please return home. Your parents will be worried about you." He pleaded with his eyes.

 What was he running from? She was a fool to think that they had a chance. It's ridiculous how she was the only one who had feelings for him. Even though he never showed it but hope lingered in her heart.

When she was at her weakest, he would whisper to her those sweet words, or they would sit on her balcony deep into the night and watch the sky change its hues as he would stay overnight just to listen to her thoughts. When he used to hug her out of blue or call her pretty. Was she overthinking that it might be something more than those mere friendly gestures? She was in dark for the most part. She still couldn't blame him. She loved him too much to do that. 

"Not before you answer me. Don't take your eyes off me, look at me. I can't handle these questions alone. Please say something. Anything." She pathetically begged. 

He seemed unfazed, not even the slightest despite her ridiculous attempts of crucifying her dignity━ if there was left any.

"Aubrey I think it's better if you go home. I believe you drank too much. Come, I'll drop you off."

Does he not see what she was going through?

"Stop lying. Just━ just stop for fuck's sake. Don't you see what you have done to me? If you were going to leave me on my own. Why the fuck did you lead me on?  WHY DID YOU HAVE TO BE A COWARD? If you don't care, that's great; you don't have to act as if you do!" She thrust his shoulders━ a feeble attempt at provoking him which had seemed to work because the scowl on his face and his tensed jaws couldn't be saying otherwise.

He grabbed her hands and stopped her from going any further. Her eyes flashed hurt at his indifference.

"That's enough. I have no idea what you are talking about. We are friends and I prefer it that way. For the leading on part, I never said or did anything that might have implied that I felt any different about you. I don't know what fantasies you have been brewing up in your head but I certainly don't feel that way about you."

It felt as though the world has come to a halt. It was getting harder to breathe with every passing second. Her eyes were burning from the unshed tears of humiliation.

Fucking stupid, she thought.

She had been living in a facade for these past years. A beautiful facade, built by her stupid desires and woven fantasies. Unable to curb her emotions━ that were all over the place, she yanked her arms out of his grasp and turned on her heels and ran. 

Away from agony.

 Away from him.