10.

She stared at him as he closed his eyes, savouring his beauty up close for the last time before they call it quits

She stared at him as he closed his eyes, savouring his beauty up close for the last time before they call it quits. Who knows if she'll ever be able to feel his warmth and gaze at his bare imperfections this close again.

If loving him was a fantasy then she wouldn't hesitate to fall into this void over and over again. She tightened her grip around him as she struggled to muffle her sobs and he let her. 

She didn't know how things were going to turn out from that point. But one thing was, however, certain that she would hold onto her love for him in the deepest depths of her heart where nothing could ever taint the beautiful remnants of him. Despite the dejection, she felt eerily peaceful with no hint of stigma. At least, he was in her arms in their last moment.

"Your thoughts. They fascinate me," he said after a moment, catching her off guard. His words confused her. What was he on about?

"You see, being a vampire has its cliches too. I can read your thoughts. Anytime. Anywhere," her breath was caught in her throat, "But don't worry, I won't embarrass you."

So, he knew all this time? Yet he chose to act indifferent. 

She laughed which was weird but it was until then that Jungwon joined her with a breathy chuckle. It was bizarre like their perplexed minds and ailing hearts.

"You know what Aubrey?"  she hummed in response as she relished his embrace, swaying with the rhythms of the gentle yet spine-chilling wind that assailed the two lovers.

"I always believed that love was something fictional, a mere tool to distract people. Never in my life did I expect to find myself in the middle of this madness," a subtle smile made its way to his lips. 

His words disrupted her melancholic train of thoughts and confused her even more as he continued, "You said that you were hurting because of me and that you wanted answers. But to be honest, I didn't know if you questioned me out of pure love or because of a mere infatuation."

"I kept pushing your thoughts at the back of my head, thinking I might forget you but I had forgotten I couldn't possibly erase you from my heart. Be it love or a fleeting infatuation, it was then when I had you in my arms that I realized I don't wish to part ways with you. I could never. The momentary feeling of losing you scared me to death. I can't possibly leave you. I don't know if I will be able to live up to your expectations but I can promise to be that better someone for you, who wouldn't leave your side. What would you call this feeling, Aubrey?"

Aubrey, who had been holding her breath as she listened to him the whole time. With her racing heart, she only managed to whisper his name, "Jungwon."

He gazed into her eyes briefly before pressing his cold lips on her forehead. She closed her eyes, cherishing the feel of his lips on her skin. He held both her hands and kissed their knuckles one by one before he slipped his hands into hers, intertwining them. Her head jolted up in his direction, unable to fathom the situation she was in.

"I am sorry for hurting you." She didn't know if he was talking about the wound on her neck that he had kissed ever so gently or her inner conflicts that she has been battling for years now. "I'll make it up to you," with that, he had given her the gentlest smile like a ray of hope amidst a prolonged rain.

It was simply his way of declaring his acceptance of her just as she had done way before. It was a vestige of their love and how delicately he had proposed it, by kissing away the pain he had caused her.

She blinked back her tears as though she feared losing him again, but it escaped and slid down her cheek. And how softly his thumb had captured it. She was still in awe.

THE END.