09.

He smiled but it didn't quite reach his eyes

"Look around. What are we even doing? I can't put you in danger because of my selfish desires. I care about you a lot. I need to assure that you are safe and that won't happen if I am around you. You deserve better. And I am not that." His words broke her apart, yet again.

She cherished him before her desires. She just wanted him to be happy, but not in this way. He thinks that he is something odd and monstrous. He was just like them, perhaps way better in her eyes. Only if he could see through her eyes, he'll know he was the most beautiful person to exist.

Was he mocking her, or did he think she was a fool enough to believe his brutal lies? He couldn't look her in the eyes and tell her that he never felt anything. 

"How ruthless can you be Jungwon?" 

She knew she had to carry this pain for the rest of her life.

"Nothing is putting me in danger. Do you think you can keep me safe by staying away from me? What about me, then? You'll abandon me just like that. Would that make you happy?" She had been bottling up these emotions for years and now that they were all coming out, she felt relieved and devastated at the same time. 

He remained silent. Just like he usually does. But this time the silence wasn't a serene and soothing one. It was deadly, slowly killing her. 

Just when she thought she knew his answer and released herself from his hold. "No," he said lowly, but she caught it. She froze and looked up to see him staring back. 

She couldn't explain the rush of ecstasy that jolted her body. That's all she ever needed and wanted. Even if he didn't return her feeling but to think that he indeed cared about her to the point he would miss her in her absence was enough to melt away all the negative emotions she was feeling.

A smile of relief touched the corners of her eager face. Jungwon tenderly brushed the tears away from her face as though he didn't want to hurt her already frayed form more. He drew her in by wrapping her in his arms. He was freezing cold yet he seemed to warm her heart.

She heard him sniffle as he buried his face in the nook of her neck, not sparing her a glance at his face. His body calmed as she ran her fingers through his raven locks.

They lingered for what felt like an eternity yet they were unwilling to let go. Even though her heart ached but it relieved her to have him in her arms. That was enough, perhaps not sufficient to satisfy her coveted desires. However, that's all they would ever be.