Ch. 18

Almost at the end of this!!
Actually, this is the last chapter, but there'll be an epilogue posted very shortly after this.
This is probably my favourite story out of all the ones I've written.
It's just... I don't know, I love it.
I'm so happy with it.
I did say I might retire after this... since I've written all the ideas I have 😅
But I'm happy to come back, the second I get a new idea.
Thank all of you for your kind comments and support over the month I've been writing here.
If not for your love, I wouldn't have been able to do it 💖
You're all amazing!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ugh... everything hurt.

You found it hard to open your eyes as a gentle breeze blew through what you assumed to be trees, and you groaned slightly.

The last thing you remembered was... oh.

Right.

Slowly, your vision improved, and you could look around, noting how you were in the forest still.

You were on soft grass, and as you sat up, you noticed how you were near the lake you'd walked into, the water calm, especially with the light breeze.

"That was quite a stunt you pulled there." You heard a voice say, and you turned your head quickly to the source, recognising the voice immediately.

You opened your mouth to speak, but found yourself speechless, much to his amusement.

"Lost your tongue, did you?" He asked, reaching out a hand for you.

As quickly as your aching body allowed, you took it, and he helped you to your feet, a smile on his lips.

You swallowed hard.

"Am I...?" You asked, to which he shook his head.

"Not quite. That is to say, not at all. You're very much alive." You were almost... disappointed at this.

Did that mean you were dreaming right now?

"Don't make that face, girlie." Said Mephiles, cupping your cheek.

"But if I'm not dead, that means I'll go back to my usual life... if this is just a dream, I don't want to ever wake up." A dream, huh?

"You think this is a dream?" He asked, to which you nodded.

"You're dead. This can only be a dream. I'll wake up, and you'll be gone again." Oh, you poor thing... how you'd suffered.

Mephiles placed a soft kiss to your forehead and held you close, though you didn't want to cry.

You were sick of it.

"My dear, would you believe me if I told you this wasn't a dream?" He questioned, looking into your eyes.

You met his gaze and blinked, before tilting your head.

"That isn't possible. I saw you die." Amused, Mephiles glanced to the side, before looking back to you.

"Granted, I did indeed die that day, it's going to be harder than that to permanently get rid of me." He said, stroking your cheek.

You were so confused, and for valid reasons.

"Let me put it this way. The fool destroyed my body, not my soul. It was a little detail they... left out." You shook your head, still confused.

What did he mean by that...?