Chapter 4

Rule number one for a masquerade ball: wear a mask

Rule number one for a masquerade ball: wear a mask. That in itself is pretty explanatory. Doesn't matter what else you wear as long as you cover your face and match the theme no one will judge you too much.

Rule number two for a masquerade ball: arrive a month early apparently, or everyone in this damn kingdom has money and everyone in Orynth has more. I went with both of those statements because even as we were travelling through the many forests and going through the little surviving villages, I noticed how most weren't struggling as much as they probably should.

Everyone is also extremely nice and welcoming... and extremely beautiful. It is almost like it's a requirement to look good here. Either that or the ugly ones are hiding.

The land is also extremely beautiful itself. Pine trees reach into the sky as rivers snake across the ground interrupting roads. Multiple mountain ranges break up the land every so often and animals run around enjoying themselves. Little folk and faeries flit around dancing, making mischief and just having the time of their lives. Even with the war so close in the past, everyone seems to be happy. If I had to choose between Terrasen and a place where everyone lives in fear of fights and I myself. It's pretty obvious what I would choose.

I would stop to look at the town though and go inside a few of the shops if I wasn't currently running for my life.

I picked a time when no one was on the streets so I didn't have to deal with dodging people. That time was night, now if you ever lived in this stupid life you'd know that nighttime meant the temperatures dropped. I am in a knee-length, see-through nightgown with a heavy coat not made for warmth over the top. Right now my only form of light or heat is a heavy lantern that is very slowly losing its flame.

This time of day seemed smart when I thought of it but now isn't so smart considering the temperature and how our guards are quite literally shadows or at least seem like shadows, so that's what we call them. They're dressed head to toe in black, unseen and always following you no matter how hard you try to get rid of them. I can't exactly see them chasing after me but I know they're there and to stop running is suicide as they are all extremely strong and well trained.

The gods and dead are probably wondering why I didn't just kill Mica and be free that way but it doesn't work that way. To kill Mica or Celeste is to kill my family. The only reason none of us has killed them is because of the fact that living with the guilt of being the death and suffering of family largely outways the guilt of killing strangers. Plus, those two hold our freedom in their hands, only they can set us free. Something to do with magic. So there is your answer dead people, I care more about my own family and my own feelings than others.

I don't know where I'm running and I hope I find the place I'm looking for soon, and hopefully, that place is near the centre of this damn city. I wish to get there soon as well because the shadows are catching up.

I look to the side at the sound of footsteps and dodge the gloved hand that reached out to grab me. I bring the metal lantern I'm holding down on the arm and delight at the sound of bones breaking. I don't stop the watch the bones repair which only takes him a few seconds.