|one|

3 months later

Kenzie's POV

Lately, I've been feeling different. I'm not entirely sure if it's in a good way or a bad way. I feel more empty, like a piece of me is missing, but I also feel more free. Less grounded.

I sigh and grab my light sweater before heading out the door. I pull my long, brown hair out of the sweater and hurry down the stairs of the apartment building. Rushing for the bus stop, I pull out my phone. I text my friend Calum and ask him to meet me at the store. He quickly replies with a yes.

Michael's POV

There she is. Shoving her way through the crowd with her nose in her phone. Her black jeans are contrasted greatly against her light blue sweater. Her long brown hair blows around her face, and I stop in my tracks.

For one week, I've been trying to escape from Hell. It was hard to get past Ashton, but I needed to see Kenzie again.

People grumble at me, shoving past. Kenzie runs straight into me, and her brown eyes flick up to meet my green ones.

"Sorry." I mumble.

"No, it was my fault. I wasn't watching where I was going." Recognition flicks in her eyes. "Hey, do I know you?" She asks.

I pull her aside as a biker speeds past, almost running her over.

I shake my head. "I don't think so." I lie smoothly.

She frowns, her pink lips turning downward. "I feel like I know you." She rubs her arms as a breeze blows through. "I feel like you're important." Her chocolatey eyes search mine, her head tilted up to look at me.

My throat goes dry. I struggle to find words, but none come.

She looks down and shakes her head. "I probably sound insane. Forget that I said anything." She smiles up at me sadly.

"I like your hair, by the way." She says, gesturing to my bright red hair.

I reach up to touch it. "Uh, thanks." I say quietly.

She laughs. "Maybe I should dye mine." She says.

"No!" I yelp. She steps backward. "I mean, I really like the color of your hair. It's pretty."

She giggles. "Don't worry, I'd only dye the ends."

I nod. "That would be cool."

She shifts on her feet. "Hey, I never caught your name. What is it?"

I clear my throat. "Um, my name is Michael. What about you?" I ask, just for effect.

"Kenzie." She replies. I smile.

"Pretty name."

She clears her throat. "I have to go. I'm meeting a friend at the store."

I look down. "Oh. Alright."

She walks away, waving at me. I just stand there, dumbfounded.

I'd finally met her, in person, where my spirit was conjoined with my body. Where I wasn't her guardian angel. And I'd gotten to feel her, my skin against hers. Even if it was only for a second.

What am I going to do now? I have to be near her. I can't go back to Hell. I need to make sure that her new guardian angel is taking care of her.

I trail behind her, watching her brown hair swish on her back. She moves with the crowd, her black Converse slapping the sidewalk. She heads into a Walmart, scanning the crowd. I hang out in the front of the store while she heads to aisle seven. A boy with black hair and brown eyes jumps out at her and she screams. I flinch, ready to lunge at the guy, but Kenzie's already laughing.

"Calum, don't do that!" She exclaims.

He laughs and nudges her shoulder. "You scream like a girl."

She pushes him. "I am a girl, you dumbass."

He rolls his eyes. "Should we buy a ton of candy?"

"Don't we always?" Kenzie asks. Calum runs a hand through his hair.

"Chocolate?" He asks, pulling out a tube of Rolo's.

"Mhm." She picks up a bag of sour gummy worms and throws it at him.

"Hold this." She demands. Calum grumbles but obeys. She also grabs Skittles, licorice, and chocolate covered almonds.

"How about we watch a scary movie tonight?" She asks him. "You know, so we have a reason to stuff our faces?"

Calum grins. "Paranormal Actuvity or Annabelle?"

She considers. "I think we should watch Annabelle. I haven't seen it all the way through."

Calum nods. "You'll love it."

She hands him the rest of the candy and begins to walk away.

"Probably. Now, let's go pay for this junk."

Kenzie's POV

When we begin up the stairs to the apartment, I hear a string of curses, followed by a loud thud.

Calum rushes up the steps, pulling me behind him.

"Are you alright?" He asks. A girl with straight blonde hair looks up at him.

"What? Uh, yeah. I just..." She trails off and scratches the back of her neck. "I'm kinda new to this moving stuff." She laughs, tossing her long hair behind her shoulder.

"Need help?" I ask, hanging the grocery bag on my door handle.

"Oh, yes, please." She nods.

"Are you moving in or out?" Calum asks.

"In. That's my apartment." She says, pointing to the open door next to her.

"Hey, we're neighbors." I smile.

"Well, glad to know you're friendly." She laughs.

Calum picks up the box she dropped and carries it inside. I pick up a separate box and follow him. The girl picks up the last one, huffing, and shuffles through the door.

Once we've helped the girl settle in, we invite her to watch Annabelle with us. She gladly accepts.

We sprawl out in the small living room, Calum lying upside down on the couch. I lay my feet across his chest and rest my head on the arm of the couch. The girl lays her head against the couch and puts her legs out straight in front of her.

We've closed the curtains and turned off the lights. The movie starts, and the bright screen cases scary shadows on the girl's face.

"Hey," I say. "I still don't know your name."

She turns to look at me, and for a second, her green eyes look grey.

"The name's Madison," She says. "but you can call me Maddi."

~

IT WILL MAKE SENSE LATER OK

FHHXJKSLHE

I LOVE YOU ALL AND THANK YOU FOR READING THIS

Collab with:

@cuddlingca1um @-Mrs-Irwin-

update: This fanfic is a mashup of two bands, read the A/N in the next chapter to find out more.