|four|

(video at the top is a cover Ally and Maddi did :D)

Luke's POV

I huff as I knock on Michael's door. He's got it locked, and I don't have a key.

He opens it, yawning and stretching. "Hi, what do you-" He stops. "Oh. Hi, Luke."

I roll my eyes. "Either you need to stop locking the door, or I need a spare key."

"Well," Michael replies, "I'll get you a spare key later."

"Alright." I say as I walk past him into the apartment.

"Any luck today?" He asks me. The morning after Calum left, I came home for food. That was when I decided to tell Michael who I was looking for.

I couldn't bring myself to say her name.

"No." I reply gruffly. I open the fridge and pull out the milk, then go to the cupboard and grab some graham crackers.

"Will you tell me her name, now?" Michael questions tentatively. 

I hesitate. "No." I finally whisper.

"It's okay. I understand." He turns around and stands on his tiptoes to get the Ramen down from above the fridge. It's quiet for a minute while Michael pulls out a pot, fills it with water, and sets it on the stove.

"Michael?" I ask quietly.

"Hmm?" He asks as he turns up the heat on the stove.

"You know the girl upstairs, Kenzie?" I break some of my graham crackers in half.

Michael freezes temporarily. "Yeah, why?" He eventually asks, resuming his trail over to me. I notice that he's drumming his fingers on the side of his leg.

"Is that, like, the Kenzie? Your old assignment?" I pour some milk into my glass.

He hesitates. "Yeah, that's her."

I break into a grin. "So, that's the girl you're in love with! Have you told her you like her?" I gasp. "Oh my God, have you kissed?"

"Luke, you're like a fourth grade girl." He laughs. I scowl at him.

"No, I haven't told her."

"Why?" I ask quickly.

"We only met last week!" He exclaims.

"But, you've known her for her whole life!" I retort.

"Actually, no. I was only a Guardian Angel for nine years, Luke." He explains.

I pause. "Then why are-" I stop myself. "Were. Why were you assigned to someone who was already born?"

Michael sighs. "I guess something tragic happened, and she had to have her memory erased. That  meant also erasing the Guardian's memory. I assume that they assigned the Guardian to someone new, and when I became a Guardian Angel, they assigned me to Kenzie."

"What happened that was so tragic?" I ask, almost forgetting about my food.

"No one knows. Except for The Council, I mean, and they won't tell anyone." Michael swats his hand in a annoyed gesture. The water on the stove starts to boil, and Michael drops his Ramen in. I sit down at the bar and rest my chin on my hand.

"What could be so tragic that they'd never tell anyone?" I ask quietly.

"I don't even want to imagine it, Luke." Michael replies very softly. 

I eat my graham crackers in silence and Michael puts the flavoring in his Ramen.

"You should take her out on a date." I blurt randomly.