Chapter 22: It's a date

Ayato’s fingertips were still on his screen, the message “yes” was not sent yet.

Ayato was stunned, he nearly fall.

Thoma wasn’t doing any better too, his mind went blank. The boyfriend who was always at the last place in exams, the boyfriend who scored only 50 points.

Ayato tried to break the awkward silence by saying, “Friend? Look you very familiar……”

“Do I?” Thoma said.

“Yeah, you look like my boyfriend.”

The image of someone with thick ass glasses and probably very nerdy disappeared and transformed into his own boyfriend.

His boyfriend, whom he had worried day in and day out would end up an excavator operator after college exams. His boyfriend whose grades are so trash that even a magic pill can’t even help him.

Thoma started running, Ayato followed him while holding onto a mock paper.

While running, Thoma suddenly remembered about the Baidu QnA. What to do when boyfriend doesn’t study.

When he reached the emergency stairwell, he stopped and panted lightly, “Stop running…….” he heard Ayato’s hoarse voice.

Ayato rubbed his forehead and then asked, “That Kahoot……you were…….” he couldn’t remember the keyboard spam and then said, “something something A?”

“You were KING?” Thoma mocked.

The two did not say anything for a long time.

Thoma suddenly asked, “Did you bring a pen?”

Ayato nodded.

They paused for a moment and then swapped mock papers, and then started doing them. This is too pathetic.

After they were done, they exchanged the papers back.

Thoma glanced at Ayato’s paper, almost all the answers were correct, just a few careless mistakes. He tightened his grip on the paper and then he heard Ayato call him, “Thoma, I- Well……..”

“I want to punch you so badly,” Thoma said.

“Look, even if you punch me, it won’t solve anything right?”

“But at least I feel better,” Thoma began to stand up and was ready to hit him, Ayato quickly stopped the flying punch and pulled him into his arms.

He trapped his housewife and then leaned to kiss him.

After Thoma calmed down a bit, both of them sat on the stairs in silence. It was a bit awkward until Thoma opened his mouth, “What were you thinking? Why did you purposely fail your papers? Do you have any idea how much I-” spend on that study guide?

“You were the one that sent the email?” Ayato said, not looking at him.

It turned out that Thoma worried for nothing. He took out a lollipop from his pocket and unwrapped it before stuffing it into his mouth.

“Thoma, you see…..the reason why I purposely failed is because……..” Ayato hesitated for a while.

Seeing that his boyfriend is having some difficulties talking, he pulled out the lollipop from his mouth and placed it gently on Ayato’s lips, “Ge, you want some?”

Before Ayato could even respond, Thoma shoved the lollipop into his mouth. He could taste the sweetness melting on his tongue.

His housewife had licked it.

His housewife called him Ge.

During Ayato’s junior high, he didn’t really get into much trouble until one day, he hit a teacher.

“There was someone in my school last time, well…..he thought highly of me and wanted to buy answers from me.”

Thoma listened.

At first, he laughed but then the argument got worse and worse so he could not help it but to throw a punch. The punch made the teacher get hospitalized.

They sat in the stairwell a little longer until Thoma asked, “Are you hungry? Wanna go eat?”

Ayato looked at him, “It’s a date.”

They left the emergency stairwell and headed to the nearest shopping mall. They waited for the elevator and Ayato whispered, “What do people do on dates anyway?”

“You don’t know?” Thoma raised an eyebrow.

“No, this is my first time in a relationship.”

Thoma thought for a while before answering, “Ask Baidu.”

“........That’s enough, you are not going to let me forget hm?”

But in the end, Ayato went to Baidu for help.

Bored of waiting, Thoma leaned in and glanced at Ayato’s phone.

“Have a meal……….watch a movie…….” Ayato read out loud and then he paused, “As long as the movie is not horror, I’ll watch with you.”

He continued to scroll and then he reached the last point: Get a room.

Ayato swallowed and turned off his phone, Thoma saw the words too and quickly looked away, trying to act calm.

They went for lunch and then decided to watch a movie. There weren’t any good shows to watch so Thoma picked a random one.

They sat in the back row, the red bracelet was still on Thoma’s wrist, he sat down and then looked at his boyfriend, “Hold my hand, Ge?”

He is clearly teasing him.

Ayato sighed and held onto his hand, their fingers intertwined. The movie started playing, “Ge,” Thoma spoke.

“Hm?”

“Last time during the monthly papers, you asked me what you are like.”

“.........”

“I’ll tell you but if you don’t manage to catch it, then too bad because I’m only going to say it once.”

Thoma took a deep breath before he said, “You’re the type I like.”

You are Kamisato Ayato.

Just the way you are. Nothing else matters.

Thoma had never said anything so mushy before, Ayato tightened his grip on his hand and then said, “Can you say that again?”

“No.”

Ayato leaned back, “Are you going back to school later?” Thoma asked.

“No, school is going to close soon, so I’m going home.” Ayato said, his eyes traveled to his pants and made sure his sweater was covering it.

Thoma followed his gaze and then said, “You’re hard?”

“Wouldn’t be a man if I wasn’t,” Ayato pulled the hem of his sweater to cover. "Don't look at me, let me rest for a bit."