Chapter 4: Club Booths (Pov. Jake)

I went toward my friends Drew, Liam, and Henry. When I sat down I got a few questioning looks from my friends.

"Got your eyes set on the new girl? You know she's one of those people who got the scholarship, right?" Drew asked amused.

"I just met her," I responded somewhat annoyed, I'm not that superficial.

As if reading my thoughts, "you're so superficial," Drew said rolling his eyes.

For the rest of lunchtime, we sat and talked about my car and how it was getting new light underneath. We also talked about Drew's so-called girlfriend, Zoey. I swear she is such a pain in the ass, don't know how he's too blind to see what a gold digger she really is.

The school day was finally over, and I had to help Ms. Halts carry copies for tomorrow's lesson. I suddenly saw Hailey walk up towards the back of the school, I might've followed her...

"Hey Hailey," I ran up to her as I realized she was headed towards club sign-up booths. She greeted my response. "She's... really polite," I thought to myself. Whenever Hailey showed any signs of politeness I was bewildered. I saw where she lived– an average, middle-class home. Growing up, my parents always told me that people like her aren't polite and that we should look down upon them. Maybe she's the exception.

"What club are you thinking about joining?" I curiously asked.

"I'm interested in math. I know, I'm not the best mathematician, but that still doesn't mean I don't like it."

"What type of math?"

"Statistics, I'll be great to help out my parents expand their business."

"They have a business?"

"Yes, they own a small restaurant down a couple of blocks where I live."

Once we found the statistics club booth, she signed up. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my three friends staring at me, "what's up with those questioning looks?" I thought.

I excused myself and apologized to Hailey, I kind of wanted to spend more time with her for some reason. Too bad my friends had a few questions.

"Do you like her?" Liam asked.

I shook my head as I told them I just met her. Judging by their expressions, they wanted to bet. This is something we always do, we bet cars, money, any object really. Our bets are usually who can get a specific girl to date them fastest by charming them. "Oh-no," I thought.

"This isn't going to end well..."