Chapter 5: Staring (Pov. Zander)

I stayed after school to watch luke's soccer practice. Usually, Hailey would be here too, but I guess she's too busy with her new school. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that her dreams came true and that she's having the best education possible, but I just don't want her to get hurt. She already went through her blood mother's death– and it was hard on her. I didn't want those rich people making her feel inferior because she needed the scholarship to attend that fancy school.

I closed my eyes and placed my head in my lap as I saw the whole soccer team go into the locker room to change. The practice was short today as it was kind of cold– understandable. Plus, I wouldn't want Luke to catch a cold.

"Hey, I know you're overprotective of Hailey– cause she's your stepsister. But, have some faith in her, Zander. I'm sure she's old enough to take care of herself," I felt Luke's warm and reassuring words throughout my whole being– I was used to it at this point, but sometimes I doubt the normality of it.

He always knows what's bothering me and even right now he guessed it– is that normal? I mean– we know each other since we were 5-years-old, it's probably normal, right?

"I guess your right," I sighed.

We began to walk to my place, per usual– just without Hailey. We always do our homework together, but Hailey's at a club booth– whatever it is. Guess it's just Luke and me.

I glanced up at him slightly, his autumn hair following the gentle breeze nature provided. His eyes we gleaming even with this cloudy weather. I suddenly got nervous and I felt my whole body collide with something hard– a pole. Luckily, I didn't fall down I did– however have a red mark in the middle of my forehead now, which will most likely become a bruise by tomorrow morning.

I turned to look at Luke's expression, he looked... confused. "Did he think I was staring at him? I mean– I was, but I–," my head kept filling itself with questions as a suddenly saw a girl behind him around our age and thought of a quick response.

"I– that girl, she's cute. Haha," I stuttered as Luke turned around and his perfect lips formed a grin.

"That's Marisol, she's in my French class–" Luke responded teasingly as he nudged my shoulder.

"I can introduce her to you if you want," He offered.

"I want to... uh– do it by myself," I struggled for an answer as we reached the porch of my house, and Luke shrugged.

I don't get why I stare at him. It seems to be the only thing he can't figure out that bothers me, but the problem is– neither can I.

And maybe I'd rather not figure it out.