Chapter 7: Old Acquaintances (Pov. Luke)

A few minutes into our study session Zander's phone vibrated as the screen lit up. He always turned his phone off when we studied together, and so did I. I don't think he saw his phone screen light up because he was too busy chasing his step-sister, Bethany, around the living room.

"Bethany, get back here! Give me my grape juice back, you're going to spill it!" Zander screeched as he ran around the family sofa. The little toddler was laughing, holding the last, up-opened, grape-flavored juice box. I shook my head, laughing at the scene in front of me.

As Bethany ran by the dining table, I quickly got a hold of her. "Come on Bethy, I'll give you a jolly rancher if you give Zander his precious juice box. Deal?" I ask her.

"Deal!" She grapes the green jolly rancher from my palm and hands over the juice box to Zander.

Zander sighs in relief as he runs his free hand through his, now, messy, royal purple, hair. He then swiped away the bit of sweat that gathered on his forehead. His porcelain skin is now slightly glistening.

"Well, that's enough exercise for me this year," He laughed as I cracked a smile.

"Oh, someone texted you," I commented. 

His curly locks bounced once he plopped himself on the chair next to me. He checked his phone, and I thought, "this guy has good fashion taste." I was honestly always the one to ask Zander for fashion advice. Although, everything looks good on Zander– can't say the same for me. Today, he wore his dark blue and brown oxford shoes, with gray-washed jeans, and a navy shirt with two white lines– and a sky blue line between them. He makes the simplest outfits look good, I swear.

I can't help but think of him more often these days. I think of his smile, his laugh, his fashion taste, and even his obsession with grapes.

"My parents are having dinner at the restaurant, want to... maybe... join us?" I felt Zander's voice grow hesitant, as he knows that I have to put in a few extra hours of practice for the soccer team.

"Sure, I would mind" I replied, I can never say no to him of all people.

We took Bethany with us. We decided to walk there since his family's restaurant wasn't too far away from their house.

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+

Once we arrived at the restaurant, I saw Mr. & Mrs. Austin seated with Hailey and a blonde-haired guy at the table.

"I see Hailey was quite busy," I thought to myself chuckling.

I suddenly heard Zander's sassy tone erupt from his chest, "who are you?" He asked, crossing his arms.

The guy with blonde hair and hazel eyes stood up and stretched out his hand, "I'm Jake. Jake Sterling. Your sister's friend." Zander then shook his hand hesitantly. That's when I remembered... Jake.

"Hey, you're the guy from the summer soccer camp I went to," I realized.

"Luke, I didn't recognize you. Nice to see you again man," we embraced in a bro-hug and proceeded to fist bump.

"Well this is going to be an interesting night,"  I thought.