𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑡𝑒𝑟 𝑛𝑖𝑛𝑒

dakota flashback...
________________

"could you be anymore dense?" 

"dense? how am i dense, zion?" 

"because i'm sitting here, telling you how i feel and you're throwing my feelings away like it's nothing." he yelled at me. i rolled my eyes, "you're always thinking about yourself, dude, you haven't asked me how i felt this entire time!" 

zion scoffed, "this is why you can't keep a relationship, dakota. always trying to blame the other person for something that you're doing." 

"that's not true. i have told you, time and time again that i like to take things slow and you keep rushing me!" i explained, "why can't you work with me?"  

this is how it was, always arguing because he didn't respect my boundaries. relationships were hard, and taking things slow was how i worked. but zion was always rushing  me when it came to my feelings. sure, i liked him and he liked me, why couldn't that be enough for now?

"i'm sick of this shit!" zion yelled at me and i flinched at his harshness. "don't yell at me." i muttered and backed away from him. "don't yell at you? don't yell at you!? dakota, don't fuck around with me." 

"i'm not doing anything," my eyes welled up with tears and my voice got smaller, scared he might hit me or something worst. "why can't you work at my pace?"

zion shook his head exasperated, "i'm tired of working at your pace. you make me feel like shit whenever i can't express my feelings towards you and go farther into our relationship."  he looked at me, not saying anything about my sadden expression. i pursed my lips, "fine, maybe we're not right for each other." 

"what?"

"we're not right for each other and i can't give you what you want so let's just not move forward."  i began to grab my stuff from his room, getting ready to leave but zion grabbed my arm.  "dakota, don't leave."  he got angry and i quickly pulled myself away. 

"i'm leaving now, zion. let me go before i cause a scene." i whispered harshly at him, pulling my arm from his grasp and making my way to my car outside. "dakota! come back!" 

i didn't say anything and simply got in my car, driving out of his driveway and heading home. once i got to my place, jasmine was outside with her boyfriend, connie, who'd she'd been dating for the past 2 years. she saw the tears on my face and looked at me with concern as i walked up the porch steps.

"what happened, kota?" 

i glared at her. we didn't have the best relationship due to her not being trustful. "nothing, i'm fine." i walked past them to get into the house. "ahh dakota, you're back!" my mom exclaimed, "how was zion's?" 

"we broke up." 

"broke up?"

"what happened? what'd you do?" 

that stopped me in my tracks. "what did i do?"  i questioned her. my mom nodded, going up to me and wiping my tears off my face but i pushed her away. "i didn't do anything." 

"well you would have had to do something, zion is a sweet boy and well, dakota, sweetheart..." she trailed off and i blinked back more tears. "you have very high demands for a man, kota." 

i scoffed, rolling my eyes at her but my father suddenly appeared. "dakota marlean, i told you not to do that." he sternly said and i looked away from both of them. "i don't have high demands for a man but zion wasn't even a man in the first place."