Irregular Shapes, aka the bottom of the barrel

Here's some examples of irregular shapes

To start this section, let's look at two quotes from the book. It gives more in-depth information.

"The Irregular," they say, "is from his birth scouted by his own parents, derided by his brothers and sisters, neglected by the domestics, scorned and suspected by society, and excluded from all posts of responsibility, trust, and useful activity. His every movement is jealousy watched by the police till he comes of age and presents himself for inspection; then he is either destroyed, if he is found to exceed the fixed margin of deviation, or else immured in a Government Office as a clerk; prevented from marriage; forced to drudge at an uninteresting occupation for a miserable stipend; obliged to live and board at the office, and to take even his vacation under close supervision; what wonder that human nature, even in the best and purest, is embittered and perverted by such surroundings!" (A-Square)

Here's another;

"Doubtless, the life of an Irregular is hard; but the interests of the Greater Number require that it shall be hard. If a man with a triangular front and a polygonal back were allowed to exist and to propagate a still more Irregular posterity, what would become of the arts of life? Are the houses and doors and churches in Flatland to be altered in order to accommodate such monsters? Are our ticket collectors to be required to measure every man's perimeter before they allow him to enter a theater, or to take his place in a lecture room? Is an Irregular to be exempted from the militia? And if not, how is he to be prevented from carrying desolation into the ranks of his comrades? Again, what irresistible temptations to fraudulent impostures must needs beset such a creature! ... I for my part have never known an Irregular who was not also what Nature evidently intended him to be - a hypocrite, a misanthropist, and, up to the limits of his power, a perpetrator of all manner of mischief" (A-Square).

Those quotes were a bit longer I'll admit, but all are important to really showcase how irregular shapes are treated. The amount of hatred towards irregular shapes is quite frankly disgustingly scary. It would be like if everyone was as racist and the worst type of racist on the planet. It's generally terrifying. I'm not even sure I can accurately describe what irregular shapes go through. But I can describe what the woman went through, the last group of shapes we need to talk about before we answer that big question of how Bill was born.

Lets review:

-Bill is from the 2nd dimension, a world filled with different kinds of shapes and lines known as Flatland.
-Bill as an equilateral triangle is part of one of the lowest classes in society and is thus mistreated. Flatland has a social hierarchy that has triangles at the bottom, squares next, then pentagons, etc. Circles are at the top of society. At the very bottom (not considered part of society) are irregular triangles and irregular shapes.