Episode: 17

Kang-woo takes a bullet for Myung-wol. My reaction must be proof of what a downturn Kang-woo's character has taken over the course of this series, because rather than being moved by the sacrifice, I'm thinking, "Well, it's the least he could do."

Ryu gets to the rooftop in time to see Kang-woo go down and Myung-wol crying over his prone body. Kang-woo is raced to the hospital for emergency surgery, which Dae-kang covers clumsily by telling reporters it's for appendicitis.

Ryu apprises Ok-soon and Hee-bok of the events, who worry that if the sniper was sent to prevent Myung-wol's impending surrender, they'll probably try to kill her again.

Kang-woo's condition is kept relatively quiet from the public, but Chairman Joo's minion reports that the wedding was canceled due to a shooting, and that Kang-woo has been seriously injured. Furthermore, Ryu hasn't left the country as planned, which makes Joo speculate that perhaps he was the assassin. In-ah eavesdrops as usual, and tries to make sense of this. (She fails.)

Kang-woo's surgery goes well, and the bullet is successfully removed. But he's still unconscious, which is worrisome. And in wondering who would shoot Kang-woo, Myung-wol starts to wonder if Ryu made good on his threat after all, unable to shake the growing suspicion.

Spy Mom and Dad discuss the options for their futures, both of them leaning toward surrendering and continuing to live in South Korea. They worry that surrendering might send a sniper after them too, but living in hiding as spies is also nerve-racking. Impasse.

In-ah goes to see Myung-wol at the hospital, determined to find out the truth about her and Ryu's true identities. The spy idea has very briefly flitted through In-ah's mind, but she's leery of jumping to that conclusion and asks Myung-wol to explain, adding that she knows Ryu was headed for North Korea. Furthermore, she knows he didn't go — which just adds to Myung-wol's fears about his involvement in the sniper attack.

At that very moment, the sniper is taking a second shot at Myung-wol through the hospital window, but Ryu stops him from pulling the trigger and warns him off this task. The sniper retorts that he's just doing his job, and that Ryu ought to know the punishment for violating orders.

The sniper goes after Ryu, slashing him with his dagger before Ryu gains the upper hand and stabs his attacker, killing him. Hooooo boy, it's one thing to fail in your duty, but to kill a comrade who's doing his — that's what we call point of no return.

In-ah almost runs Ryu over as he's leaving the scene, clutching his bloody bicep. She offers a scarf to bind the wound, while mentally debating whether or not to confront him with her suspicions. Could he be a spy? Imagining Ryu going after her ("I have to kill you now that you know"), she wimps out and hastens away with the excuse that she's going to buy him medicine.

In-ah heads to the police station instead, but ultimately runs away without saying anything and returns to her car, only to find Ryu gone. That's what happens when you pussyfoot: You lose your chance to romance and/or betray your crush/enemy.

Ryu heads back to spy central, and finds himself at the barrel end of another gun, this time held by Myung-wol. Not realizing that she now suspects him, he asks confusedly what she's doing.

She cocks the hammer with furious tears in her eyes and reminds him he'd agreed not to harm Kang-woo, and warns that if he tries anything again, she's going after him: "My good feelings for you end here. I'll live hating you from now on." Aw. Dude's having a really bad day.

In-ah asks her grandfather what Ryu's deal is, not satisfied with his answer to mind her own business. Chairman Joo wonders if she's transferred her romantic feelings from Kang-woo to Ryu, which she denies.