S1C1: Crocus

Crocus;
Youth

Four months had went by like the flowing water of the river, and it already felt like an eternity. I could care less about time, however. After all, I found a friend, a companion who taught me living; and a family that gave me enough to not feel any neglect. To any other eyes, it may even seem that I was the second daughter of the Hwangs.

But the family, or at least the elders, did not abstain from reminding me that I was an outsider whatsoever, and they only cared for my needs because of a simple motive.

To fulfill a vow.

Hwang Kyujin, the mistress of the household was a close friend of my mother, if the servants' words were any credible. I didn't know what my parents did for a living, but it was surely something that could risk their lives to a great measure. And my mother knew of it quite well as she had came knocking to the doors of the Hwangs, asking them to take her daughter under their care. Mistress Hwang obliged.

I doubted the story, but at that moment it was the only thing I could cling upon to suppress the burning, almost painful curiosity I had.

Other than Yeji, Mistress Kyujin-- or Aunt Kyujin-- was the only other soul on whom I could lay my trust. She wasn't nicest to me, but she was a woman of her words, and even though I was never graced with her motherly love, she cared for me just how she cared for Yeji, and I was content with it.

The other elder of the house, however, was never on my list of favourites. Hwang Sha-kooni was never the one to be trusted, anyway. Might I remind you, I was just four at the time.

He was a calm, collected and cold man in his early forties, sporting long hair that barely touched his shoulders. However, this fierce attitude was a complete contrast to his physical appearance, which was rather fragile. Don't judge a book by its cover. Hwang Sha-kooni was a great example of one such book.

And then, there was Hwang Yeji. She was nothing like her parents. Back then, she was the sweetest and the most humble person you'd ever meet. It was simply impossible for me to imagine her as the daughter of the Hwangs. She was the angel living amongst the army of ruthless demons, or a bloom of rose amongst the bush of thorns.

But one thing that always made me wander about her was her blind trust upon her father. Yeji was the biggest admirer of her father and thought very highly of him. In her eyes, he was a hardworking person who thought nothing but their family's welfare. I could never understand how this trust came to be because in no shape or form was Master Sha-kooni a hero.

"Psst! Jisu-ah!"

The word Jisu in the Korean language means wisdom and beauty, a name coined by Yeji as she read one of her favourite story books. According to her, Jisu was a princess known for her elegant features and a sharp mind who defeated the six kings of the colours all by herself to save the land of rainbows. A rather absurd story, if would've asked me. But for Yeji? It was an inspiration.

And thus, the name.

"Jisuuuu!"

I glanced at the young girl, tilting my head in confusion. "Yes, eonnie?"

"Let's go to the garden."

The garden, how can I forget?

If you were to ask any servant working in the Hwang household about Yeji's whereabouts, they would've probably said, "Ah, young mistress? She must be in the gardens again." The girl had always been attracted to flora since a very young age.

"But, eonnie-"

"I am booored! And I know you are too."

I closed my mouth, not really finding a reasonable argument. Yeji smiled in satisfaction, jumping out of her seat in an instant. "Let's go!"

With a sigh, I could do nothing but to follow the girl, not forgetting to take my polaroid on the way.

The camera was...a gift-- my first gift since I could remember. I was unaware of the sender, the box held no name as it was lying on my shared bed with Yeji unattended. At that time, Yeji had just jumped in her place behind me out of excitement, urging me to open it, and thus assumed it could be her. Although I am still not very sure about that.

The polaroid soon became the second best friend of mine. I started with maintaining a scrap book, pasting all sorts of pictures in it. Yeji would later decorate it with her little doodles. For a five-year-old, she was quite a skilled one in drawing. It was not a surprise that most of the photos the scrapbook held were of Yeji.

Sun shone brightly that day, despite it being the middle of winter. The breeze was there, biting at my skin. I pulled at the sleeves of my sweater, eyes watchful of the other girl.

Yeji had the biggest smile on her face as she ran amidst the shrubs of all kind. Her giggles are still the most endearing thing I've ever heard.

She was wearing a dress, one that was her favourite. And I have to admit, she looked the cutest in it. It broght out her hazel eyes, making them look like little sunflowers. Her hair was in a braid that dissolved by the end with her pony.

"Jisu-ah look what I found!"

She raised her little hand that held a beautiful bloom of the calla. There was a smudge of dirt on one of her cheeks. I grinned at her, reaching for my camera. I closed one of my eyes, looking at her through the lens.

"Eonnie, smile!"

One for the memories we made,
one for your eyes of jade.

•°•°•°•°•°•

a/n !¡ « aren't they the cutest? T~T. »