S1C3: Bellis perennis

Bellis perennis;
Innocence

"Don't lurk near those doors."

Aunt Kyujin had warned me, pointing at those mahogany doors painted in dark brown, details oh so intricate decorating its surface. I had a thousand questions waiting for her in my head but I just stared at her, and nodded. "Yes, aunty." My questions could wait a bit longer.

The Hwang residence was humongous to say the least. I had spent three whole years in those familiar corridors back then, yet there remained corners unexplored and doors unopened. That day, Yeji and I were playing hide and seek after our morning classes. And that was what brought me to that section of the house which I had never seen before.

Even after the warning, however, my eyes wandered back to that door.

"Yeji is downstairs," came the stern voice of the mistress, breaking through my reverie. My eyes dove to the floor.

"Yes, I will take my leave."

Although my thoughts never left that place.

"Eonnie, can I ask something?"

"What is it?"

"What is on the third floor?"

She frowned. "Dad's bedroom and his study. And I think a store room. Why?"

"No, not that... The dark door..."

Yeji stopped halfway through folding her clothes, looking up. "You went there?"

I blinked, dumbfounded. "Y-yes."

The sound of the rustling leaves outside our room's window became more prominent, even the footsteps of the servants could be heard clearly, their feet trudging against the wooden floor. I nervously fisted my skirt. The silence was uncomfortable.

"I...don't know..." was her reply after what felt like an eternity. She took a seat on her desk, her hazel never leaving mine. "But it's nothing good, that's for sure."

"Nothing good?"

She nodded. "I've heard things there, and...they were no good things."

I never asked more of it.

"Forgive me! I won't-" and a scream followed.

I sat there, in front of that mahogany door painted in dark brown, details oh so intricate decorating its surface. However, their beauty weren't enough to hide the sheer pain behind them.

Aunt Kyujin cried, and cried loud enough that her pleas echoed through the dark corridors of the third floor. I could do nothing but hide behind those pillars, curling into myself as those mere sounds sent shivers down my spine.

The screams never left my nightmares.

•°•°•°•°•°•°•°•

a/n !¡ « aaaand things are going darker »