Ch. 18 - Contemplation and Fear

The hours that passed after Goku had left the Lookout hadn't helped Mirai wrap her head around her father's decision at all. Sure, she understood what the plan was, but she still couldn't understand why. Why was he so willing to throw his children at this threat to the very galaxy? Why wouldn't he continue to train himself during these next few days they still had to prepare?

Piccolo clearly hadn't understood it either. The Namekian had confronted her about it, he had heard their conversation with his sensitive Namekian hearing.

And Mirai couldn't decide if she was relieved that he was worried as well, or was extremely frustrated with him.

"Why does this matter to you all of a sudden?" She had asked as she stared at him with an almost blank expression. "You've never had any problems throwing us at enemies when we were even younger..."

For the first time in her life, she had watched as Piccolo was taken aback and speechless. And all from just a couple questions at that, not like some intense rise in power or a new transformation. He struggled to find his words, any sort of response.

It only gave her time to think of some possible reasoning, aside from the obvious possibility that he just hadn't trusted that either one of the two kids were strong enough to take down Cell.

"Is it because you've fused back together with Kami? Have you grown soft because of that?"

He almost looked offended at the very notion, and she would've expected as much from what she knew her mentor to be. But Piccolo actually seemed to give it some thought. That alone was enough for her.

"I see... Well, no matter. I came here to save dad so he could help defeat the androids. The situation has escalated, but dad has always gotten us out of these types of situations. So I'll choose to trust him, just like I came here to do in the first place."

Piccolo sighed, knowing that he likely wouldn't be changing her mind. "Fine... But this thing about not training some more until then is a bit much."

"You're right, it doesn't sit well with me either. So I'll take another round in the Room of Spirit and Time, and see if I can join in on Trunks' next turn in a few hours."

And that was precisely what she did. Trunks had no protests about spending his second year in the Room of Spirit and Time with his mentor, and was more than happy to accept her company, confessing that he had been nervous about being in there all alone for a year. So Mirai left the Lookout as she used Instant Transmission to get a new battle uniform from Bulma, though not before ruffling Trunks' hair, much to his annoyance.

She had teleported in on Bulma while she was making repairs to Android 16, much like her father had hours earlier to get the Dragon Ball Radar. Blankly, she looked to see 16 on the table in front of Bulma as their eyes shifted to her. Her breath hitched in her throat as 16's icy blue eyes looked at her, a design trait Gero had seemed to keep with all of the androids she had seen, aside from himself and #19.

But 16's eyes weren't as cold as 17's and 18's are. The same color, sure, but 16's eyes were softer, almost gentle. He seemed to be an enigma to her.

"Mirai? What's up?" Bulma's voice brought her out of her trance, gaining her attention.

"Oh, um," Mirai tore her gaze from 16 in favor of looking at Bulma. "I came to ask for another set of battle armor. I'm gonna be joining in on Trunks' training in the Room of Spirit and Time."

"Sure," she gestured to a box set against the wall to her left with a nod of her head, "go ahead and grab one. They're in that box there."

Muttering a quick thanks just loud enough for Bulma to hear, Mirai walked over to the box Bulma motioned to and kneeled down to begin searching for one.