Ch. 25 - Farewell to the Past

Mirai almost completely zoned out from the situation on the Lookout. Almost. She would've completely had Krillin not mentioned androids 17 and 18 again.

"Shenron! Can you turn androids 17 and 18 back into humans?!"

"Alas, their powers are too great and strange. My own powers cannot effect such creatures against their will." Shenron's response seemed to bring Krillin down a little, while the others were baffled by his choice in wish, and its wording.

"Why'd you say 17? Isn't he dead?" Yamcha was the first to voice his confusion.

"Is he?" Piccolo followed, "the first wish was to restore to life all those killed by Cell. That would include android 17."

Krillin wasn't about to give up, though. "Then how about this... could you at least take the bombs out of their bodies?!"

"Yes. It does not weaken them... or change the fundamental nature of their being..." Shenron was silent for a moment as his eyes glowed red for that moment. "... It is done. The bombs are no more. Fare you well."

Without another word, Shenron's form disappeared in a flash of light and the seven dragon balls all flew up into the sky to part ways. Once again, it would be another year until they were available again.

"Krillin..." Trunks began before Mirai had the chance, which was probably for the best. She probably wouldn't be as nice about it in her current irritation. "Why did you wish for that?"

"I felt bad for them." He answered simply. "Imagine having a bomb in your body!"

Krillin apologized to Yamcha for not being able to get a necklace for his girlfriend, which Mirai didn't understand at all. Clearly she had missed something while she was zoned out. But Tien's next statement was easy to follow.

"Krillin... I thought you liked 18. So why remove the bomb from 17?"

"Well, yeah..." Krillin fiddled with his hands as a nervous smile came to his face, a hint of sadness to it. "I did like her... and I know 17 is the perfect guy for her. "

Instantly, all the times that 17 had called 18 'sis' had come to Mirai's mind, and the way they argued like siblings would. She wasn't sure if she should, or could, laugh at Krillin's confusion. But before she could correct him, the devil herself came at her and her brother's mention.

"You moron! 17 and I are twins!" 18 had apparently jumped out from behind a pillar of the palace, 16 not far behind. "Don't get the wrong idea! And don't think I'm grateful for you taking out my bomb! Globe-head! What about 16's bomb?!"

"Oh, uh, my mother already took out his bomb when she repaired him..." Trunks answered after a moment to process her outburst. 18 just looked to 16, who looked just as unsure as she did. He hadn't known about his missing bomb yet.

After a quick glance to Krillin who nodded in confirmation, 18 turned to face away from the group, but kept her gaze on him for a moment longer. "Fine. Later." Then, she flew off the Lookout once again with 16.

Apparently that was a good enough cue for the rest of the team to start heading their own separate ways as well, starting with Tien.

"I should be getting home. Chaozu'll be worried about me. We probably won't see each other again... So take care." His friends bid him farewell before he looked to Trunks and Mirai. "I'm sure you two can beat those future androids easily now, but... good luck."

Trunks practically beamed as if he just realized that he could actually beat the androids now, and easily, and thanked the mysterious triclops. Mirai just gave him a tired and force smile, to at least show that she heard him. With that aside, Tien left the Lookout, presumably to never be seen again.