6

Lily

  When I got home that night, I ignored all my parents questions about where I was and just locked myself into my room, burrowing myself in the safe covers of my blankets and scrolled on my phone. 

  I yelped in surprise when the door suddenly burst open and revealing my parents plus my younger brother, who was, not surprisingly holding a lock-pick. I sat straight up, giving them looks of disbelief.

  My ma walked up to me and presented a neatly wrapped jewelry box. "We wanted to give you this earlier, but you seemed.... out of it." She said in Chinese. Fun fact, my parents were actually born in China, so I was Chinese-American. So I kinda stuck out like a sore thumb at Krocker High.

  "What is it?" I asked, setting my phone down and opening the box. My eyes widened at what I saw.

  It was a beautiful tear drop necklace, the one my grandma always wore before she passed away

  It was a beautiful tear drop necklace, the one my grandma always wore before she passed away. I stared at it before looking back at my ma. "Why are you showing me this?" I asked in confusion.

  My ma smiled softly. "Before your grandma died, her last wish was for you to be the new owner of this necklace. She said that whenever you wore it, she will always be by your side and watching over you."

  Tears pricked my eyes as I stared at the beautiful jewelry. Whenever I saw my grandma wearing it, I had always wanted it. I guess she picked up on it. Sniffing slightly, I gingerly put the necklace on my neck and admired the beauty in it. It was a perfect fit on my neck. 

  "Thank you," I murmured, reaching over and giving my ma a hug. I didn't have the best relationship with my parents, but it wasn't too bad. I knew that I wasn't their favorite child, but they still cared for me. I was grateful for that. 

  "We know that you're having a hard time adjusting to everything at school." My Ba said, walking over next to my ma. "Hang in there." 

 I smiled, knowing that if I had my friends and family with me, I could take on anything that stood in my way.

.oO0Oo.

  I entered school the next morning with relatively high spirits, stopping my locker. I noticed Gorya holding a new shoe making me smile. "New shoes?" I asked, making her turn around and give me a happy smile, one that she and I were doing less and less these days.

  "Yeah," Gorya said happily. "My parents gave me them."

  "Of course they did." I teased. 

  Gorya was distracted by something shiny. Her jaw dropped. "Isn't that your grandma's?!" My hand flew to my necklace and smiled.