Chapter 8 - Examination

As I left the cave, I properly checked the dimension ring that Mister had given me for the first time.

Looking into it, I saw a couple of silver coins, 2 black rings, and some clothes. Deciding to inspect the clothes, I brought out everything and held them up into the bright sunlight as I exited the cave.

Inspecting the shirts first it seemed as if he had given me 3 of the same shirt. Confused, I removed the pants from my dimension ring as well and I noticed Mister had gotten me 3 pairs of the same outfit, each in a different size.

'What's he playing at?' I thought suspiciously.

Deciding to try on the smallest shirt since it was the only one that fit me, I noticed that the material was skin tight and it extended upward past where a shirt would normally end, covering all the way up my neck.

Feeling something poking into my side, I reached my hand up my shirt and pulled out a small white piece of paper that was stuck to the inside of the shirt.

It read, sorry about your scar kid, I didn't realize just how hard I'd actually snapped your neck. I mean, it was basically a right angle. I tried to heal you up and get rid of it, but nothing I did helped so it's a little bit bigger than it used to be. I felt a bit bad, so I took a little trip back to my house and got you some clothes that won't burn up when you're fighting.

I was a bit stunned that he actually apologized for something, and I figured it was nice of him to go out of his way and get me some clothes that won't catch on fire from my magic. Although, it would've been much more helpful if he got me some stuff that I could wear over the top of it since the shirt and pants were obviously designed to be worn under other clothes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After traveling for around 20 minutes, I finally found a group of adventurers that could direct me to the nearest guildhall.

Deciding to swallow my pride, I asked them if I could bum a pair of pants off of one of them, and to my surprise, someone had a pair of pants that just barely fit me.

I felt a bit bad for using my obviously disheveled state as a bargaining strategy to make the other party feel pity for me, but I really would rather not walk into civilization with skin-tight under-clothes.

By the time I finally found the guildhall, I'd put together that Mister had only left me with just enough coins to get an adventurer's license, but not enough for me to get back to Elenoir.

Damn that old man...and damn those expensive ass travel fees. Although, this at least gives me an excuse to go adventuring...I just wish it were under better circumstances.

As I snaked through the mass of humans that were gathered in the entrance hall, I finally was able to register for an examination match, which took a bit of haggling.

When I made it to the stands, it was agonizing having to wait for my match to come up as I was forced to watch a bunch of second-rate mages get placed into D and C-class.

I absentmindedly fiddled with the collar of my shirt, while I thought back to my ruthless murder of my twin brother.

In the past, even if I had the power, I doubted I'd ever go as far as to kill him. But at the moment, it felt so good to finally put that ass in his place. Maybe it was my acquire phase taking over my emotions...something definitely felt different about me, but it wasn't as extreme as Mister made it out to be.

Well, the aftereffects that is.

The actual dying part sucked. After all, I was forced to live back through some of the worst moments in my life...