Chapter 13 - Demonstration

'God that was boring,' I thought to myself as I left my first class of the day, basics of artificing. That old bat of a professor droned on and on about different light-producing whatnots and mana suppressing...well, I'm not actually sure...

He even claimed to be the most renowned artificer in Dicathen, but I didn't buy it one bit. He just seemed like some sort of eccentric old man rather than an actual artificer or school teacher.

I hoped that my practical mana manipulation class would end up being more exciting as I walked through the halls looking for the room.

When I found the right room, I walked in and noticed that it was more like a half-colosseum than a classroom, and it seemed as if I was one of the first ones to make it.

I sat down near the front not giving it much thought as I did so.

As people started to shuffle in, I saw Arthur who also noticed me and walked all the way over to me, sitting down next to me as he gave me a friendly wave. I returned the gesture but didn't say anything else, not sure as to what I should say.

Much to my dismay, the princess of Sapin, Kathlyn sat down next to Arthur as we continued to wait for the professor to show up.

I didn't really think much of the girl in all honesty.

She seemed to be really reserved and she was admittedly beautiful, but I didn't believe in pretty privilege, so I didn't let that affect my impression of her.

Quickly noticing my own hypocrisy, I decided that Clare Bladeheart was the only exception to this rule. Regardless, Kathlyn hadn't exactly left a bad impression, so I had nothing much against her, but I was still wary.

Soon after, Feyrith also sat down next to me, and then the class started shortly after we exchanged pleasantries when the professor walked in.

"I knew my class would be popular, but wow! We have quite the crowd of students!" He exclaimed, taking the center stage. "As you all know this is practical mana manipulation, so we are going to be doing things very practically and by that, I mean through example. Because what better way to learn that than through hands-on-experience right?"

"And it's especially an honor to be teaching our very own disciplinary committee."

'Oh lord get on with it already.'

"But, I can't be the only one curious as to what sort of ability the members of our newly formed disciplinary committee boasts. After all, they'll be the ones responsible for upholding the peace of the academy, right?" He announced as he studied me, Kathlyn, and Arthur.

"So, which one of you would like to come demonstrate their abilities?"

None of us responded, which I could tell aggravated him, albeit only slightly.

"Since no one wants to volunteer, I guess I'll just have to choose then," he said, narrowing in on Arthur.

"I'll pass," Arthur replied.

The veteran adventurer's brow twitched, and he seemed to be losing his patience.

'He's trying to make an example out of one of us for sure.'

After seemingly deeming Arthur a lost cause, he then turned to me and asked if I would come up.

"What's your affinity?" I asked, making no attempt to hide the arrogance in my tone.

"I'm a fire-attribute augmenter," he announced proudly, "Don't worry, even if you have a water affinity, I promise I can hold my own."

At the reveal of his fire-affinity, I deemed that he wouldn't really be worth fighting, so I stood up and confidently declared that it would be a waste of time.