Chapter 15 - Undefeated

I practically hobbled over my next class: Introduction to dueling.

I remembered hearing that the first day would be nothing more than simple etiquette, meaning we wouldn't start hands-on fighting for a couple of days, thus I didn't bother recovering from my fight with Arthur.

As I entered the first-year class, the only person I recognized there was Elijah.

"Elijah!" I shouted, running over to sit by him in the stands of the dueling class.

After catching up with the black-haired boy, he asked me if I had any classes with Arthur.

"Yeah..." I threw my hand behind my neck, "I just got done getting my ass kicked by him in my last class.

"Even with him hiding two affinities and his beast will, I couldn't hope to defeat him either," Elijah said in an attempt to console me. "Anyways, would you like to eat lunch with Arthur and me from now on?"

"I'd like that," I responded.

After chatting with Elijah for a moment, the class started, but I had stopped paying attention long before it even ended. I spent the entire duration of the boring class thinking over my fight with Arthur and what I could have done differently.

Even in Arthur's self-restrained state, the battle was still extremely difficult, and I lost fairly decisively. It definitely wasn't an unwinnable matchup, but I figured I'd have to improve upon Phoenix domain in order to take a win.

After Introduction to dueling finished, I moved on to my next class.

It went pretty much the same way as my dueling class and thus, my first day ended without any major incidents. If you forget that I almost killed a professor and got my ass kicked by the strongest 12-year-old to have ever lived.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I let out a bored groan as I walked out of my artificing class which somehow was even more boring than the previous day. With practical mana manipulation next, I was surprised to find that Arthur was actually the professor.

Arthur began the class, teaching them something that Mister had already shown me, so I yet again didn't pay much attention. Arthur didn't seem to care anyway because he already knew I was capable of what he was teaching.

Nothing much happened in mana theory and team fighting mechanics either. When my dueling class started, the professor initially paired everyone up by mana core levels.

Naturally, Elijah and I were paired together since we were one stage apart. Since we were the two highest stages the teacher decided to let us be the example.

He had us do various exercises before informing us that the first part of the class was hand-to-hand combat, then conjuring, and then on the day after, we'd put everything together and start the class for real.

Elijah and I were told to have a one-on-one spar and we were obviously advised to use no mana.

The fight wasn't exactly fair. I had trained in hand-to-hand fighting under both Aya and Mister, and on top of that, I had an assimilated body. Elijah on the other hand was a conjurer who'd never actually had to fight with his fists.

Still, he did fairly well all things considered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After that, my first week of school went fairly well, that is until Marcois was found dead randomly in the night. Following this tragedy, we had a DC meeting, where Curtis informed us that he had died from mana leakage.