Chapter 16 - Widows Crypt

The next day began with a disciplinary committee meeting regarding the fact that 4 of our members would soon be out on a trip to the Beast Glades.

Before I knew it, weeks had passed by in almost an instant.

I'd had fun messing around with the disciplinary committee, sparring with my training partner Elijah in dueling class, and spending time with Arthur and Elijah when I wasn't hanging out with Feyrith. I'd even gotten to know the elven princess fairly well since she always seemed to be glued to Arthur.

Due to me spending quite a bit of my time idly lounging around the DC training room, I had bonded with the other officers decently as well.

Although, none of the fire users ever did want to fight me.

I had relentlessly denied duel requests from Theodore, and I even had to hide from him at times. I didn't really want to fight against him until I had a good workaround for fighting against gravity magic.

I had sparred with Dorardrea a couple of times and she had even challenged me to an arm-wrestling match, which I had won fairly easily with the help of my assimilated body.

She, of course, called foul play claiming that there was no way my 'scrawny ass' would ever be able to beat her.

But even with all the time I had spent with everyone, I was quite surprised that I ended up befriending anyone considering that I didn't expect to make any friends before I had come to Xyrus.

'Who would have thought that my 2 best friends would be humans...'

I buried those thoughts into the back of my mind as I stepped onto the snowy landscape of the beast glades.

As we walked, Arthur shot me a look that told me he wanted to talk in private and the two of us snuck off behind a carriage and conversed secretly.

Arthur basically told me that if anything went wrong, he'd handle it, but if need be, he wanted me to use my beast will to help everyone escape.

He then followed up by saying that he didn't think anything would actually go too amiss in a d-class dungeon, but he was still a bit put off because of the S-class mana beast that we ran into in an AA-class dungeon.

Finishing up our conversation, we left to join our groups.

The professor had assigned us to teams and I was paired with Clive, Arthur, Tessia, and a kid named Roland.

When we made it into the dungeon, despite the obvious cold, nothing seemed off.

However, as we walked, we had run into a horde of snarlers and the professor had told us that we should head back up, but with some convincing from the class, she finally relented.

When we made it down, it became apparent that the beasts weren't all that strong. Even adventures with no mana could take on one or two of these things before needing any assistance, so for students at the prestigious academy of Xyrus, we didn't have any issues really.

In fact, everything was going perfectly until Glory shouted that we needed to head back up.

As we hurriedly retreated, my teammate, Roland ended up tripping and getting swarmed, but Arthur saved him before I could do anything.

Suddenly, two queen snarlers broke through, and our whole class was forced to play defense since the snarlers never seemed to let up.

I noticed Arthur near the exit, and I figured that he would pretty easily be able to bust through if he used his will. 

He briefly locked eyes with me and he seemed to be considering something before calling over to Curtis.

'He took off his seal!'