Chapter 3

Exhausted from having pushed yourself on this run, you collapse to the dead front lawn in a coughing fit. The end of your run is much brighter out than usual because you overslept and didn't go on your jog until close to noon. You weren't too hard on yourself about it, there wasn't a work call scheduled and writing is what kept you up instead of a uselessly racing mind. Unfortunately for you, none of what you were writing the past week would work for the series that was part of your contract. Though, you hoped Mike would help you make it work out. He was good at that kind of thing when he had enough to work with.

You stare up at the clear blue sky as you catch your breath, daydreaming about the characters journey until a face blocks your view. You squint your eyes to focus on their features and smile when you recognize Leigh. "You're blocking my view," you grumble.

"Awe, no comments about how I'm your best view?" She teases.

You let out a short laugh, "If I was trying to sleep with you, I would've."

She scrunches her face, "Thanks, now I'll know to never take a compliment from you."

"What? Afraid you won't be able to keep your pants on?" Leigh rolls her eyes but sits down beside you. "Were you spying on me again?" You ask.

She shakes her head, "I just got home from the store and watched you fall. It was my mistake for thinking something bad happened to you."

You let out another short laugh when you're finally able to control and slow down your breathing. "Need any help taking the groceries in?"

Leigh snorts, "What are you really, Y/n?" You turn to her with a confused expression. "You help me move in, fix my kitchen, and now you want to put my groceries away for me?" She squints her eyes at you in a scrutinizing way, "Are you sure you're not trying to sleep with me?" You burst out laughing at the ridiculous thought.

"Damn, and here I thought I was going to have to clean your house before you figured out my motives," you reply sarcastically. Leigh joins you in the laughter. When it gets quiet between the two of you she asks you why you're so helpful and you really consider it this time. You open your mouth to start a few times but end up closing it to find the words that weren't just I don't know. "Truthfully, I have no clue," you mentally smack yourself on the forehead. "What I do know is that all of last year I spent everyday here miserable and locked up inside. I couldn't write. I couldn't function. I..." you pause, deciding not to overshare a few details. "The day I decided to start living again, you show up and I can write."

Leigh listens closely and decides against teasing you about how that sounds like a line but she can sense that you're only telling her your truth. "So if I decline your offer to help with the groceries," she drags out the question and you notice that she is trying to bring the playful tone back.

"I will probably never write another sentence and the publishing company will sue me," you say in a serious tone as you fight a smile.

"That's a lot to have on my conscience." You agree and she sighs. "Well, I suppose it wouldn't be the worst thing to have your assistance." You ask if there is time for you to shower first and she shakes her head. "Nope," she pops her p, "you gotta do it now, Stinky." She gets up and holds her hand out to help you stand. You challenge her to a race and start running before she can decline. Leigh can't help but push herself to try to beat you. She doesn't.

You gather as many groceries as you can on your arms, only leaving a few bags left for her. They are the nice reusable bags but because you were carrying so much, the straps still dig into your arms uncomfortably. It only encourages you to get them inside and put them down faster. You walk inside the house and place them on any available surface. "This is a lot for just two people," you observe.