Chapter Eight

While professor Simons carefully laid out a series of upside down photographs on his desk-as if he were assembling a jig-saw puzzle, Nicasio asked, rather dry-mouthed, if he should begin going over his new evidence and further research. The professor was still quiet and self-absorbed in the contents of his own papers and notes. He seemed preoccupied especially with what seemed to be a few simple diagrams. After several painfully speechless moments, the professor nodded for Nicasio to begin—assumedly with his prepared presentation.

As Nicasio began explaining the geological formation of certain transient sand bars at a place known as Campbell Cove in the vicinity of Drake's Bay, he held up several aerial photos and Google Earth indications of the coastal vicinity. He took out a sheath of paperwork supporting the oceanographic and cyclic patterns of the submarine sand formations created by currents recently discovered to be in 30-33 year cycles. The professor looked up periodically from his own paperwork and acknowledged them in an obligatory manner. Nicasio continued, but could sense something was wrong-the professor was not focused, he just did not appear to be intently listening.

Suddenly Dr. Simons interrupted him. He told Nicasio how he had always admired him as a graduate student for his dedication and abilities as a researcher. Nicasio was surprised and became extremely nervous at this tone and the unexpected non sequitur of his words and actions. He was quickly becoming unnerved by the inexplicable atmosphere and the unexpected aloofness of his advisor. He began to visualize some terrible setback to his doctorial project. Automatically and dispassionately, he thanked the professor for his trust in him, and awaited his next comment with dread. The professor lowered his voice practically to a whisper.

"Nicasio, how would you like to be involved in possibly one of the most sensational finds on the North American continent? It's a very recent discovery, and I must admit I am intrigue by it."

Nicasio remained perplexed. This was certainly not the way their meeting was supposed to progress. He could only think of the countless hours he had devoted to his research, and how it was not even being listened to properly by the professor.

"I'm suggesting to you some new work on a project that makes the Drake's Bay landing site controversy pall in comparison. You see, young man, I'm referring to a find so remarkable that, if it is truly authentic-and some preliminary work tells me it is-it will turn out to be an unprecedented Western link to the Classical world, physically as well as . . . mythologically."

Nicasio tried to remain focused. "Um . . . What, sir? What exactly are you suggesting?"

"This recent find I am sharing with you quite possibly could be one of the most spectacular historical connections ever made to the Americas. I am telling you confidentially, Nicasio . . . this could be of epic proportions!"

Nicasio had never seen any such hint of animation on the professor's face before. His eyes were wide as he spoke and his demeanor was that of an impressionable undergraduate student-under the spell of some mind-expanding concept. Nicasio felt suddenly dizzy and a little nauseated by the unexpected nature of the meeting-the strange direction it seemed to be turning. He realized he had not eaten well over the past several days and the sudden hint of his advisor's erratic behavior, or perhaps the man's heretofore disguised senility, was seriously beginning to impinge on his own future outlook.

The professor remained silent for several moments. Nicasio broke the uncomfortable lull with a nervous whisper, accompanied by a breaking in his voice. "I'm . . . I'm not really sure I follow what you're suggesting, Dr. Simons. . ."

"Of course you're not, my boy," the professor said, in a slightly more rational and reassuring manner. "I was not exactly sure either of what had been dropped into my lap down in Big Sur just forty-eight hours ago."