Chapter Nine

Nicasio furtively looked at his watch. He could not believe so much time had passed in the professor's office without even mentioning his proposed thesis. It was too clear the professor was now preoccupied with something he felt was far more urgent.

Dr. Simons paused only momentarily, shuffling his photos and notes. He then went on in earnest.

"If any of these classically designed stones and ancient Greek inscriptions turn out to have any connection at all to pre-colonial New Spain . . . or even the Mission Period, it will be a discovery of monumental attention. I'm sure you see the potential of that cultural intersection and how it would affect the current thinking of historians internationally."

"OK, professor. You're right. And I do. But what about my thesis on Drake? An entire two year's worth of dedicated work for this proposal was put into that. All the new research I put in on the physicalities of Drake's Bay? I have compelling evidence that confirms the location as Drake's point of coastal contact."

Dr. Simons forcefully slid the entire sheath of photos and diagrams he had taken out across the cluttered desk toward Nicasio.

"From this day forward, Nicasio, consider this your doctorial thesis. I'll make sure your efforts in the write up of this find, as a full associate will qualify as your PhD project. You have my word on that, young man."

Nicasio had never seen such emotion in his professor before.

"But . . . why me, exactly professor? You must have colleagues you can. . ."

"Trust? Fully collaborate with? On something of this caliber my boy? No. My experience tells me, sadly, no. As surprising as that sounds, I truly don't have complete faith in my 'colleagues.' Not even those at the highest level of respect otherwise. Not with something as incendiary as this."

Nicasio was surprised at the professors candor with him.

"Some such remarkable finds, young man, whether turning out to be true or spurious, come about once in a lifetime. I can tell you that with complete authority. What this discovery suggests has not even been proposed. Not in four centuries of historical research and analysis. Nowhere in the Americas has such a nexus between the ancient world and the new one been considered."

The young researcher held the packet of photos in his hands and began to nervously thumb through them again as the professor continued.

"I can tell you, the enormous egos of people working around something like this . . . not to mention the university rivalry from other institutions, is just too explosive to not expect trouble from. It would be an avalanche of egos all competing for the recognition."

"Well, yes. I can see it being very volatile."

"No, Nicasio . . . I've been in this land of theories and research long enough to know. It becomes a battle of personalities at some point. In spite of what it could someday present to the public to digest. And you are just the researcher to assist me in this. I have already singled you out among a number of others . . . I have no doubts about my decision, young man. It's a win-win for both of us."

Nicasio again remained stunned and silent.

"Trust my wisdom on this. In the end, Berkeley, you, and I will be where the initial recognition goes. Despite the myriads of disciplines, departments and other institutions that will be involved later. Right now it just needs some good, hard and careful investigation. It depends upon the historical integrity of what ever we bring down there . . . and come back out with."

He thought for several long moments. "I just don't know what to say, Professor."

The professor smiled more comfortingly.