Chapter Twenty-five

By sunset, it had been a long and fruitful day for the two Berkeley researchers. Extensive photographs were taken, particularly of the inscriptions and embossed decorative marble carvings on the white sarcophagus. More buttons and buckle fragments were found in the straining of earth around the perimeter of the tholos, including a Spanish silver coin which seemed to have been stamped down between the floor stones. Much excitement awaited the careful cleaning and identification of this particular artifact, as it would surely provide more dating information for the tomb's initial existence. In addition, exhaustive measurements were taken inside and outside the tholos by the researchers, emphasizing both its artistry and precise parabolic nature.

In closely inspecting two of the damaged marble blocks framing the doorway, it was discovered that a simple number code had been carved into the back of each of the blocks, using Arabic numerals. These identifiers were ostensibly to locate the position of each marble piece, row and number, for its proper assembly after being transported to the construction site, most probably by sea below.

This discovery indicated to the professor that the marble blocks had been precut at another location, possibly right at the quarry of the stones' origin, and then transported up the lonely bluff at some time, looking to be some four-hundred and fifty years before, if calculations of the evidence were right. It also revealed to Dr. Simons what had to have been considerable organization, manpower and effort on the part of those assigned to the task. The precise, permanent placement of the marble stones had also to be properly executed for the amazing aesthetic effect intended by their well-crafted parabolic construction.

It was no surprise to the professor that the locator number code on the reverse of each block was chiseled into the green marble using Arabic numerals-not Roman or even Greek symbols. This was explained to Nicasio as being consistent with the sixteenth century and the structure's probable creation point in time.

"OK. So it's pretty clear," Nicasio responded that afternoon, wiping his brow of profuse sweat. "This tells us the tholos stones had been pre-cut and marked for assembly. Not in ancient times, but during the Middle Ages or later . . . correct?"

"Yes. And with our brass buttons as further clues we can assume the stones were imported here by a work party of Spanish soldiers or sailors."

"Incredible!"

"Also significant . . . there are no known green marble quarries here in the coastal Santa Lucia Mountain Range, certainly not anywhere near Big Sur. This I already checked. The samples we take today will determine through analysis just where this material originated . . . something I am very curious about," the professor added.

Nicasio followed him to the center of the tholos where both men shined their lights onto the white surface of the sarcophagus. There again was the curious double-bladed axe emblem on each corner of the reclining lid. It was circumscribed by an almond shape border and gracefully placed beneath it an open, crescent moon. The emblem obviously had enormous significance, yet for now it eluded them. Nicasio reached down and touched the smooth base relief of the configuration. His fingers glided along the upward-curving horns of the moon, upon which, stood in the center the embossed double-sided axe.

Professor Simons passed the back of his hand over a sweaty cheek.

"This is one heraldic design I've not encountered before," he admitted to Nicasio in the surrounding darkness. "But its one of those clues, my boy, you are going to spend some quality time on in your research. Perhaps in this case . . . when you reach Athens."

Nicasio just raised his eyebrows, making no comment on the suggested venue.

"Certainly your search there will bring you to a similar double-headed axe. It was called the labrys. A common motif found in the Minoan culture on the island of Crete. Later it was popularized by legend as a weapon associated with the Amazons. Particularly Penthesilea, their legendary queen."