Chapter Sixteen

When two more beers were brought out to the tired researchers, Dr. Simons drank his down in two drafts. His professorial voice and demeanor then miraculously became reminiscent of when Nicasio had heard his lectures both as a graduate and undergraduate student.

"You see, these buttons are called "Santa Elena." That is to the button fanatics and historical collectors," he went on. "They're solid cast and undeniably Spanish. Definitely military."

Nicasio just blinked back at him, too exhausted to reply.

"They're found sporadically around the ruins of St. Augustine and other early outposts on the New World continent the Spanish established."

The professor toyed with them in his palm.

"Spreading out from Hispaniola to Guatemala and Panama, these little beauties have been cataloged quite consistently. Some of the earliest settlements in New Spain have them showing up."

Nicasio strained to see the little orbs.

"It's where they either fell off men's uniforms due to age . . .  or struggle. Most commonly they were ripped off their doublets during some violent assault with the natives, " the professor explained.

Nicasio looked again more critically at the innocent little spheres.

"Yeah," he replied, barely audible. "In their heyday they would have also been gilded . . . right?"

"That's correct, young man.The Spanish didn't think much about camouflage in those times. They were cast shiny gold in color probably in the Netherlands where the Spaniards traded for them and other brass goods."

"Netherlands?"

"This was just before Spain's wars with the Low Countries. I've seen these plain, round buttons turn up in Mexico, too. A few around a dig at La Paz and . . . even a couple on Cedros Island, off Baja." The professor smiled nostalgically. "They're always a great delight when found in the earth strainers by graduate students. They feel like they've discovered diamonds."

Both men smiled.

"Well I'd say you deserve a bravo here professor. These little diamonds have given us a real lead. And it definitely calls for more beer." Nicasio held his two fingers up for the waiter to see.

 The professor responded humbly. "Well . . . maybe just one more."

 The young researcher was again deep in thought. He could not resist the obvious question.

"So, OK professor. Just who, from this window of time . . . wearing Spanish uniforms and light armor . . . have we got poking around down there on the windy bluffs of Big Sur?"

The professor was silent. Himself lost in thought.

"I mean . . . that's a good hundred years before any settlements in Alta California. Only a handful of early explorers could even fit these dates you are giving."

"Indeed, young man. They would have been the entradores . . . the first wave of explorers to the western coast. There's no European settlers on the entire coast at that time."

"I mean the whole California coast was only inhabited by indigenous peoples then. Right?"

"The Esselen, in fact. Yes."

"And they were only a . . ."

"A small tribe. But they inhabited Big Sur for thousands of years."

"And during these dates . . . the West coast was only beginning to be charted. A few Spanish expeditionaries came here only. At least  during the time you suggest."