Chapter Thirty-five

(The Room of the Dons: Mark Hopkins Hotel, San Francisco)

What set the elegant banquet hall off that evening as different from many other gatherings at one of San Francisco's most historic five-star hotels, was not only the all-female congregation of guests in attendance, but a special spotlight devised to illuminate one of the nine stunning murals covering the south wall of the room.

It was an exquisite painting of Califia, a literary character, created as Queen of the legendary Amazons. It had been stylistically and controversially rendered by artist Maynard Dixon in the Art Deco motif of the 1920's, when the hotel was rebuilt. The painting featured the elegant character of Spanish writer Montalvo's 'Queen of the Amazons,' ruling her paradisiacal Island of California in bold, flat colors. It was she whom Dixon and fellow painter Frank Von Sloun felt most appropriate to include in their breathtaking mural series, expressing the history and spirit of California itself.

Appearing fierce but elegant, and flanked by two of her Amazon warriors against a gold leaf sky, Califia's most memorable feature is that she displays an exotic composite of all races of women in the world today, more closer in complexion to 'women of color'—as described in it's day. Almost a century after the painting was installed into the landmark hotel, designed to be the cultural hub of San Francisco's elite patrons of the Arts and belle letres, the central character reflects back into the room an 'uno mundo' synthesis of women.

Califia was here depicted to prophetically represent the faces of all females seen in the state of California today—Hispanics, African-Americans, Native Americans, and those from the far and near East. As indisputable queen from an indeterminable time, she stares out at a world constantly changing. With her bare breasts exposed, and wearing a royal robe embellished with griffins and fearsome creatures, she is saying to anyone in the room who looks upon her, "Do not underestimate my power."

The special dinner guests that evening—some fifty or sixty women in all, were now seated quietly awaiting the keynote speaker's address. The females of this exclusive society had come from as far away as Australia, Sweden, Turkey and China for the occasion to celebrate an anniversary of sorts. Although the congregation had the appearance of any other philanthropic society, headquartered in a cosmopolitan city, its degree of secrecy and anonymity of membership had kept it to a degree unto itself. For many centuries it had remained as one of the most cryptic in the world.

Outside the Room of the Dons banquet area, a private security detail had closed the dinning room doors following the last registered guest to arrive. The scheduled presentation prior to the dinner celebration was to be held under the most stringent controls the hotel could muster. Restaurant and hotel staff was kept outside the meeting area by the management, barring anyone else's attendance until the proceedings adjourned.

At 9:15 PM, the guests—a mixed group in age, of what seemed like well-dressed benefactors, professionals and academics, chatted at their tables in a reserved manner. The lights suddenly dimmed, signaling the meeting was underway. A slim, middle-aged yet athletic woman, wearing a black pants suit approached the dais and smiled. Her hair was cut short but elegant with a distinctive white streak on one side. The short hair exposed a pair of dangling silver earrings of a curvilinear design. She also wore a pair of ancient snake-style bracelets, also silver, which clung to her olive-complexioned upper arms. A single string of large, verdant green stones comprising a necklace, extended to her breasts.

Behind the speaker was a large, white theater screen which she moved to the center of and paused dramatically. She nodded subtly to two women in the back of the room who stood before the closed doors, checked them to be secure, and then dimmed the lights. The speaker for now was highlighted in a spotlight, her features classically attractive and Mediterranean.