XXIII - Truth

The uncertainty that had followed Henry the entire ride to his grandmother's house vanished the moment he met the dark colored eyes of his father. There had been a tremble at the back of his head that wanted to coax him into returning home with his husband and son, wanted to close them all off to the world and this man they approached, but there was also a stronger, more calming voice over his shoulder that spoke of encouragement and understanding. Strangely enough, it sounded a lot like London.

Henry would have never pictured this day happening in the past, yet here he was nearing the man from long ago with his family in tow. And Travis seemed to be thinking the same way, what with the expectant and equally unexpectant look in his eyes. Standing just before his mother's doorway, Travis waited for the three people he'd been half waiting to see, and half waiting to see not show up there on that day. It was Henry's decision alone about if he was going to make it, and there he was, looking more sure of himself now than he had a week ago. Grateful as he was, Travis pursed his lips together and blinked up at the sky for a moment, holding his breath as well until the severe urge to sob went away. He didn't want there to be any tears on this day, no matter how joyous he felt right now.

"Whoa," Daniel couldn't help himself when he was near enough to get the perfect glimpse of Travis. "You really know how to clone yourself, Mr. Dawncraft. Dorian is a serious spitting image." Also wanting to show he was ready for this moment, Daniel held his hand out to the towering man with a smile on his face.

"I know," TJ received the familiar young man's hand in kind, grip firm yet welcoming. "Daniel, right? From back then?"

"Yeah, I haven't quite been able to tear myself away from your son. He's pretty amazing."

Completely embarrassed by Daniel's obviously nervous chatter, Henry glanced in his husband's direction and blinked. "Anyways, I bet you're surprised to see me here," he continued. "And, to be frank, I'm a bit surprised myself. But since I'm already here, I guess there's really no turning back, is there?"

Travis was going to add something but waited as Henry handed the blanket covered car seat off to Daniel. "Go ahead inside," he said. "I'll be there in a minute. I'd like to have a moment with him before London can get all doe-eyed on me."

With a chuckle at how Henry was handling himself and the situation, Daniel took the car seat with him into the apartment and was welcomed by those already inside.

Alone with his father, Henry chewed his lip for a moment. He hadn't quite thought of how he was going to go about this. He'd been rehearsing some things here and there in terms of what he wanted to tell Travis, but now that he was standing beside the well over six-foot man, his nerves were beginning to catch up with him again, and when that happened he had to get himself moving before he shut down. Nodding for TJ to follow him, the two started away from the front area of the apartment and down the concrete walkway that led through the complex.

They passed several other units as they went in silence, and Henry was a little glad Travis was allowing there to be silence so he could get his thoughts organized first. Before reaching the very last building nearest to a tall brick wall with green vines growing up it, Henry tucked his hands into the back pockets of his jeans and looked into his father's eyes. They were...patient.

"Okay," Henry started. "So...I have some boundaries I feel like I need to set first before I go through with this."

Travis nodded. He was all ears.

"First, you have to respect that I won't be calling you dad. It's been too long and I lost a huge association to that word and you, so I'll be calling you Travis or TJ from here on out. Maybe somewhere down the line things will change in that department, but for now I honestly would feel more comfortable calling London 'dad' than you. Not that I would, that'd be weird. He's my brother...but you get what I mean."