I Might as Well

As Miwa went to the training area for the Kyoto chapter, she decided to try the energy slash attack. When she went to do it, however, there was a silent anxiety from her inability to do the sword creation the day before.

Because of this, she decided to do some warm-up first. "Just to be in peak condition," she told herself. "Can't practice new techniques on an un-warmed up body, after all!"

Closing her eyes, she did a few basic stretches, before doing a ten-minute run around the 400-meter grounds, 2 laps per minute. She then did some basic cursed energy practice: reinforcing her ears, then her eyes, then nose, then her mouth, then going to the rest of her body, until she had reinforced and reached her whole body.

As she was preparing to do her simple domain, a thought occurred.

Miwa had become very accustomed to using cursed energy to cover her body in a subconscious layer; in other words her body was familiar to her cursed energy.

No wonder I couldn't make the sword.

Ugh, I'm such an idiot! Miwa said, laughing to herself as she picked up the sword. running her cursed energy over the blade, she realized what she had to do.

"Um, Miwa?" Kamo said, small sweat-drop forming.

"Yeah, Kamo?" Miwa said innocently, getting a glass from the cupboard. It was a bit hard to do one handed, but she was getting used to it.

"Um, y-you're . . ."

"Oh, my weapon? I usually have it on me in the day, so what's the point?"

"Yeah, you do usually have it . . . sheathed, that is."

"Ah."

Kasumi laughed a bit, throwing her arm back, only to shriek a little bit when her sword grazed her cheek. Jumping back, she dropped her sword, landing behind her, which led to her fall as she stumbled back, causing the glass to fall on her.

"Are you ok?!" Kamo shouted, striding towards her.

"Ow . . ."

A few moments later, Miwa was thanking Kamo for the ice pack as she sipped some water from a straw, hand still on her unsheathed blade.

"I picked up this sword creation technique, right? From the Zenin library. I couldn't do it for the life of me, and was wondering about how when I was doing my warmups, right?"

"Mmhm," Kamo mused. "Do you feel like your bleeding anywhere?"

"No, thanks for asking. Anyways, I was doing my warmups, and I was thinking about how I can picture my cursed energy as like, a perfect copy of my body, right? Because I'm always using a subconscious amount of it, that flows, of course, to my sheathe and the sword itself when I'm using cursed energy actively, right?"

"Yeah, makes sense," Kamo said, sitting down.

"So then, I had this idea that I just have to make my sword feel familiar on an unconscious level to my cursed energy! But like, I still have a life and stuff, and it's a bit harder with the sheathe, so . . ."

"So . . . let me get this straight.

You just kept your sword unsheathed. . . for convenience."

"Yes!"

"Your sword, which is incredibly sharp and dangerous."

"Uh huh."

"You kept it unsheathed, then proceeded to walk around the compound with it doing normal tasks."

"Yeah . . ."

For the sole purpose of learning how to make a sword from your cursed energy."

"Yes . . . oh."