Chapter six

A few more months have passed since the day we skipped school to sit on the swings on the hill writing down lyrics and getting frostbites. We were young and dumb. It's now Spring.

    Spring is mine and Jae-Hyun's favorite season. It's the season when all the flowers bloom. We love all the flowers and the beautiful nature. But the cherry blossoms are our favorite.

    "YAH! WHAT ARE YOU DOING? COME DOWN HERE HYUN-JUNG. GET OFF THE TREE RIGHT NOW!" Hae-Won yells.

    "LOOK, I GOT SOME CHERRY BLOSSOMS!" he yells back.

"GET DOWN HERE! THERE ARE CHERRY BLOSSOMS DOWN HERE TOO  DUMBASS-"

"NO, BUT I WANT YOU TO HAVE THE PRETTIEST CHERRY BLOSSOM!" Hyun-Jung argues as he finally climbs down the tree.

All smiley and bright, Hyun-Jung hands Hae-won the cherry blossom he picked.

"T-thanks... dumbass" Hae-Won says shyly.

"Hahahaha, you guys are such a cute couple," I say. "Right? Who would've thought they would start dating too!" Jae-Hyun says, giving me a suspicious smile. Then he picked me up and put me on his shoulders.

"YAH! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" I yell as I try to regain balance from Jae-Hyun's sudden actions.

"I WANT YOU TO HAVE THE PRETTIEST CHERRY BLOSSOM TOO!" he yells. I picked a cherry blossom from the tree and put it behind my ears. Then I pick another one and put it behind Jae-Hyun's ears as well. Then he finally lets me down.

"Don't suddenly pick me up like that again, dumbass." I scold Jae-Hyun while trying to act angry. But my laugh eventually broke out. We smile at each other, and he puts his hand on my cheeks.

"HEY! Don't start kissing right in front of us. And in front of my salad!" Hyun-Jung yells at us. "HAHAHA, what are you even saying?" Hae-Won laughs at him.

Soon enough, we were all laughing at Hyun-Jung's weird comment.

"Let's go!" I say, "We're here to picnic, not to just stand and laugh at Hyun-Jung." We grabbed our stuff and walked up to a small hill next to a tree, under the shades. I don't remember much from the rest of that day. All I could remember is that I was there with Jae-Hyun and he looked so charming and gorgeous.

{a few days later, at school}

The teacher walks into the classroom and starts passing out papers. All the students start giggling and talking to one another.

"Alright, alright." the teacher says, "Yes, this is the information slip for our graduation trip. We are going to Jeju island and we will be going on the Sewol Ferry. The teacher continues explaining the trip and I look at the paper.

"Class of 2014, graduation trip to Jeju Island on the Sewol Ferry," the paper reads, the date is set on April 16, that's half a month away. The teacher is still talking, but my focus wasn't on him. I looked outside through the opened window right next to me. It's a view of the school. The sky was clear, the wind was breezy and I was lost in my mind.

After class was over, Hae-Won and Hyun-Jung came over to my desk.

"I'm so excited about the trip! This is the first year our school is taking the graduating students to Jeju Island!" Haewon exclaimed. Hyun-Jung expressed his excitement by jumping up and down while Hae-Won tried to calm him down.

"Too bad Jae-Hyun isn't here today, he definitely would've been so excited too. You two are both going on the trip for sure, right?" Hyun-Jung asked.

"Of course," answered Hae-Won.

I looked out the window to avoid looking at their faces. I can tell they know something is wrong.

"Jieun? You're going too, right?" Hae-Won asked. I didn't answer. Instead, I took a deep breath. Then I finally turned towards them.

"..."