Remember, You Don't Remember

Mumbo almost knocked on Pearl's door, but he saw that her horse, Moon, was gone. Mumbo sighed and put his hand down. If she wasn't at her house, likely, she didn't want to talk. And for good reason. He suspected that he was one of the last people Pearl wanted to talk to.

Mumbo never went through the season of angst he saw Grian, Iskall, and many others go through. It must've been because he was one of the first people to join and, back then, the Watchers didn't have the grasp they have now.

But that didn't feel like the whole answer anymore. It felt like he was just too blind to see what was really happening. His family and friends seemed happy, so he was too.

He pulled up his communicator and sent Pearl a private message. Maybe she'd want to come and talk to him tomorrow. He wanted her to be safe and the ideas she had weren't safe. Moral and ethics aside, Mumbo didn't want to have to turn someone in. He didn't want anyone to be punished.

Waiting around at her house wasn't doing anything, so he went back to his trailer for the night, hopping into his bed and trying to go to sleep. But that was too high of a standard for him, wasn't it? Because he spent the entire night rolling around pathetically, closing his eyes in hopes that sleep would take him kindly. Wishful thinking.

After a minute of shut eye, he heard talking below his base.

"She was walking about Evolution again." Grian said hesitantly. "I don't think she meant anything by it; she was just... talking."

"I know she didn't mean anything by it." Xisuma said in a tense sweetness. "But Ilmango has been very worried about breaches and her being gone has me worried."

"I'm sure she's just out on a walk or something." Grian said. "I know she wouldn't do anything like you're thinking."

Mumbo could practically hear Xisuma pacing. "I know, I know."

"Even if she was anti-Watcher, she wouldn't hurt us." Grian said. "She wouldn't even make a fuss!"

"But that's what I'm afraid of!" Xisuma raised his voice. "What if she does? What if she goes to that town west of here? Or to the city? What if she starts a rebellion?"

"X!"

Mumbo scooted over and looked out the window.

"Pearl isn't going to start a rebellion!" Grian said. "I know you're afraid because of what your brother did, but Pearl isn't like that!"

"We trusted Setycortsa for as long as he was here, and Pearl could've easily played a part for as long!" Xisuma cried. "If we don't find Pearl soon, who knows what she could be doing? Plotting with that town, hiding in the city, teaming up with my brother and his gang!"

"Your brother is in containment," Grian said. "I promise you, those lackies of his are hopeless without him."

"One of those lackies is a machine designed to be smart and calculating." Xisuma stepped closer to Grian, leaning over him. "What if Pearl is helping them?"

"Xisuma, She is not like that." Grain said, backing up and trying to keep his voice steady. "And to prove it to you, I'll find her and show you. She's probably just out thinking somewhere. How many times has a hermit gone missing and it was for a bad reason?"

"Grian, do you want me to make a list?"

Mumbo rolled back over in his bed and tried to close his eyes again. Of course, X is paranoid over Pearl being gone for a few hours. He's paranoid about everything these days and it's frankly not fun to be around.

Mumbo slapped himself mentally for being cranky.

He stood up and stretched, realizing he hadn't changed into pajamas last night. He shrugged and dropped out of the trailer, landing on his face.