Day: Chapter 8

I'm inside the president's office and it's surreal. Never would I have ever imagined that I would make it this far. But there is no time to gape at it. I hold the dagger Justine lent me and walk slowly towards the chair. Quickly I press the dagger against the president's neck and make sure he can't move. "Stand up," I say in a deep voice I don't really have. The man stands. "Come with me." He follows me to the balcony where I show the rioting public, explaining what they are doing. We sit in the chairs on the balcony. I let him free from my grip.
    "Change this. No one approves. It's not fair to the people who want to be left as they are. It's not fair to anyone. We deserve to know how we truly look, how we really are. No one out here knows what they would be like if they were left to be themselves when they were born. Imagine never knowing if you're good enough, good enough for your family, friends, teachers, for the whole Republic! Imagine living your whole life wondering. Guessing. Hoping. Wishing. Genetic editing is a cruel thing to do that no one deserves. Ever. So change. Or the public-myself included--Will fight back."
    "I hear what you're saying. I've never believed in it myself. My great, great grandfather enforced the rule that you must be genetically modified to fit into this world. Not myself. I've been trying to change it for weeks. The Senators are against it. But now that they see the public doesn't approve either, maybe they will change. But it will take time. Are you willing to wait?"
    "Yes. That's all I ask, try."
    "You got it kid."

Authors note: Sorry this all gets closed up so quickly. Like I said previously, I wrote this for a school assignment a few years back and there was a word limit and I got so into the story I didn't realize how little time I left for the ending.