V

"fucking eddie munson."

+

her mascara had smeared down her cheeks and had been watered down to black streaks by the time she had made it back to the parking lot.

the basketball boys had stayed after school to set up for the championship game and were currently running laps around the school. it was then when lucas sinclair noticed the cheerleader marching up the small hill toward her car.

"um, excuse me," lucas innocently walked up to the girl, panting slightly from his runs. "athena? right? is everything alright?"

the girl sniffed as a sob clogged her throat, nodding at the boy who eyed her cautiously. he knew her because of chrissy; they were inseparable. he also knew her because of the incident that happened earlier in the hallway, he saw it first hand by his locker.

"are you sure?" he continued, unaware of the other cheerleader who emerged from the woods, crossing the track field and slipping her way back inside the school.

"y-yes," athena cleared her throat as her voice shook, her hands trembling as she opened the car door, stopping to turn to look at the boy. "sinclair, right?"

the boy nodded hesitantly, unsure if he should let the girl drive in her shaken state. he watched as she threw her stuff into the passenger side of her bmw e30 before turning to him.

"i'll be cheering for you later," she sniffled and faked a smile at the boy before sliding into her car and shutting the door after.

lucas stepped to the side and watched the girl drive away out of the school.

"sinclair! let's go!" jason's voice snapped lucas back into action, forcing him to run three more laps around the school.

athena's song flew in the air as she cranked the stereo loudly in annoyance. athena just needed to forget about the argument, she'd apologize to chrissy later, but eddie? how could he flirt with chrissy through drugs?

"flattery works on me?" athena scoffed as she repeated what her boyfriend had said to chrissy at the bench. it stung worse that they had met at the special spot for only her and eddie.

she passed through the secret parking spot, passing without a glance but her peripheral vision caught eddie jumping into his van.

athena didn't want to waste her four hours before the game being sad, annoyed, and regretful. yes, she felt betrayed and bad that chrissy argued with her and turned to drugs. and yes, she felt a little jealous from her boyfriend's flirtatious comments.

but, nothing a little movie and ice cream couldn't fix.

she hopped out of her car, making sure she was at the right place: family video store. sighing out, she fluffed out her cheer skirt and walked into the building.

"hey there beautiful," an older boy, who almost or was eddie's age, greeted athena with a kind smile, "what can we help you with today?"

a girl with freckles from behind him turned around and made eye contact with the girl, gasping as she saw her.

"oh m- athena morrissey?" the girl waved excitedly as athena curiously stared at the girl, feeling like she's seen her before.

"r-robin? from band?!" athena gave robin a short smile as the girl nodded proudly.

"indeed is i!" she laughed as the boy stared confusingly. athena smiled kindly and got closer to the counter.

"ready to play at the game later?" athena tried to make small talk.

"oh yeah, just to lose again? ready to cheer?" robin played with a smirk as she stacked vhs' on a corner.

athena chuckled lightly, feeling drained from the day she's had: "i suppose so."

"i'm going later too, just so you know," the boy cut into the conversation, making the girls look at him silently.

"okay steve, yes you're going," robin smiled sarcastically. "athena, steve. steve, athena, the best cheerleader on the team. don't tell chrissy i said that," robin winked at you and you laughed sincerely; you needed that.

"hi steve; i guess i'll be seeing you later too," you shot him a smile and he sent one back, one a little too flirty.

"what would you like to watch today, athena? it's impossible to say you came to see me," robin chuckled raspily as she left from behind the counter and rolled a cart of vhs'.

"yes, uh, do you have the party? la boum?" athena picked up a horror movie as she spoke, friday the 13th.

steve found the vhs', eyeing it suspiciously: "romance comedy? wouldn't take you for the type," he sarcastically commented as he went to rent out both vhs' for you.

"see you later at the game robin," you called out as steve handed you back your vhs'. steve watched as you left the store without saying goodbye to him.

"did you see that? so stuck up these cheerleaders, i tell you!" steve ranted to robin about how no girl deserves him due to their wrongs.

"maybe she's just not interested dude!" robin countered, annoyed by steve who just stared at her acceptingly.

"maybe."

athena drove to her house, parking in the driveway as she stared at the vhs'. did she really want to waste her afternoon watching movies to distract herself? she needed something more.....impactful.

she went into her room and turned on her record player, picking her mötley crüe vinyl, the one eddie gifted to her on her birthday. she played it as she cleaned her room and fixed her makeup.

"two and a half more hours," athena sighed out as she sat on her bed, her electric guitar on her lap.

+