X

"alright, lets go find eddie."

+

the silence of the house made it known that he for sure was not inside. athena hadn't even gotten out her car, scared to find something or someone else...or scared to confront her boyfriend.

she didn't necessarily end off on a good note, if there was any goodbye at all after what she saw in the woods. she nervously fiddled in her car for ten minutes before she heard another car pull up.

"steve!" she got out her car and called out for the male who got out his car as well.

"you haven't gone in?" steve quickly made his way over to the girl with some flashlights, one for him and one for her.

she took one, shaking her head as she watched the others walk to the porch of the house: "believe it or not, i'm kind of scared." athena chuckled nervously, feeling like an idiot to be thinking about her boyfriend like a scary big bad wolf.

steve awkwardly patted her shoulder, his mind cursing at him to hug her instead: "i think it's normal after hearing about the situation he's in and what not."

steve sighed when he saw that his words had no affect. "we'll look for him together, okay? you won't do this alone; i'll be here."

"promise steve?" athena looked and felt like a little kid. she was scared of confrontation, of the dark since it took almost an hour to get out here, and scared of her boyfriend that she had not seen in two days, almost three.

who knew what kind of man he had become.

steve felt his stomach churn. butterflies, nervousness, sadness, and a sense of need of protection. he smiled at athena, grabbing her hand without embarrassment or consent.

"i promise. i won't let him try anything funny if he does," steve felt athena squeeze his hand as he led her to the porch of the house.

athena felt a warm tingle in her hand. maybe it was cause she was holding steve's hand, or maybe it was because she craved eddie's homs that she couldn't have, or maybe....she felt something else.

"that looks like a foot, it better not be a foot," dustin was peeking through the window with his flashlight, calling out for reefer rick loudly.

"i think it's a shoe. don't be screaming his name like that." steve scolded the boy, athena standing between them and laughing.

"hey guys?" max called out worriedly, making everyone rush out.

"wait," athena whispered fearfully and held onto steve strongly, making steve blush but hold onto her back as he led her out behind the kids, next to robin.

all five looked at an old shed with the door opened, signifying an intruder. athena felt her heart race and pound. they all made their way toward the shed, flashing their lights from the outside.

"hello? is anyone home?" robin lead the group into the old shed, flashing light in every corner, secretly afraid of rats that might've been lurking.....with rabies.

"what a dump," steve commented as he walked along, athena holding onto the fabric of his jacket. steve handed her his flashlight and she took it silently, letting go and watching as he took an oar that hung on the wall.