ONE

“How was work today?”

“Are you going to ask me that question everyday for the rest of my life?”

“Yes I am and if you have a problem with it, you can simply avoid me,”

“How could I possibly avoid my favorite human?”

“I take it you had a shitty day?”

“I can’t honestly say it was shitty but it wasn’t good either, just meh! We got a new colleague and I don’t know what to think of him,”

“Have you talked to him?”

“No, just pleasantries and work stuff,”

“Then don’t think anything. How many times will I tell you not to judge people?”

“That’s rich coming from you,”

“I am the general exception. I thought you knew that already,”

“Did you cook?” I asked sniffing around, walking towards the kitchen.

“Yeah, I was tired doing nothing the whole day so I decided to waste the rest of my time in the kitchen,”

“What did you make?”

“Lasagna or what I think is lasagna,”

“It looks like lasagna,”

“I hope it tastes like one too. We’ll know once we eat it,”

“We?”

“Yes we, I’m not getting food poisoned alone,”

“Can I turn down the music please?”

“Ugh, you are such a vibe killer. Why can’t you just work twenty four hours like a normal human being?”

“No normal human being works twenty four hours and even if I could, I know you’d miss me too much. That’s why I always make an effort to at least see you four hours in a day,”

“That’s still a lot,”

“It’s perfect for you,”

“How the hell did I end up so lucky with someone like you?”

“Maybe you saved your country in your previous life?”

“If that’s the case then I’d have two of you,”

“As if you could handle that,”

“How do you know me so well?”

“Maybe because I came from you,”

“Sometimes I doubt it. I still think they switched you with someone else’s kid at the hospital,”

“Seriously mom, it’s been almost thirty years and you still use that line,”

“Because I think it’s true. There’s no way something so amazing could come from me,”

“Mom, we look so alike it’s crazy considering I’m a guy and I’m amazing because I’m your son,”

“I love you so much,”

“I love you much more,”

“Go freshen up, I’ll set the table,” I headed upstairs but not before turning down the loud music my mom always used as a catalyst to get things done, mostly her chores.

_____

Let me introduce myself, I’m Joseph Michaels, thirty year old father of two and I unapologetically still live with my mom. I don’t know why people cringe when they find out that last part, especially women.
I’m an IT specialist at a well known NGO in my country.